help?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
DeerCamp

help?

Postby DeerCamp » May 1st, 2008, 6:27 am

okay, this is my 2nd season turkey hunting. no luck yet! yesterday i shot a tom, however i believe he was to far and it just ruffled him.. anyhow now for the help.. i hunt state land and am the ONLY person hunting it. my season ends on sunday and i would like to get a bird before that. there are TONS of birds in the area. there is a creek i hunt by and on the other side its privet housing. the people feed the birds there however they do come on to the state land. i have been hearing them gobble all day long and ill call once and a while and they will gobble back and then i wait for several hours then nothing. no more gobbles. or ill hear one gobble that seems close and call and then nothing again. what should i do?

OptimO

RE: help?

Postby OptimO » May 1st, 2008, 6:52 am

You should try calling more often and if he likes what your giving him don't stop.  After you have his attention you have keep it.  Ifs he's not responding to your calls try calling every 15-20 minutes.  Whatever you do... don't give up, ya never know whats going to happen.
SCOUT HARD... HUNT HARDER

My YouTube Channel>> http://www.youtube.com/user/OptimONY?feature=mhum

swpatrkyhunter

RE: help?

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 1st, 2008, 7:38 am

try different calls. See what they reponed to better. Check out the lay of the land. Maybe your setup is in a bad spot where they can hang up. Check for scratchings, Droppings, Ect.....  Good luck and be safe. Let us know how you make out.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion