Rookie hunter needs old timers opinion!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gobblernut

Rookie hunter needs old timers opinion!!

Postby Gobblernut » April 30th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Old timers maybe this is a crazy question but...Is it possible that a skunk or it's strong fresh odor could actually spook a lonbeard? Don't laugh because I was hunting with a friend of mine tuesday we got set up on a bird that had been gobbling on and off for an hour..After we got sit up and called he answered probably 75yds away this was the last gobble we heard A couple minutes later we got a really strong smell of a skunk that had to be fairly close. Is it possible the smell or the skunk itself could have spooked him...He was hammering awful hard for a long period of time to just stop all of a sudden..Thanks.
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

sashultz

RE: Rookie hunter needs old timers opinion!!

Postby sashultz » May 1st, 2008, 5:06 am

Been hunting for awhile....not sure if I meet "old timer" guide lines..lol.
I have never had smell or seen smells spook a turkey. But just about anything can make them nervous and quit gobbling sometimes. Just the movment of something like a skunk in the grass could make them move on out of the area. They never know when a predator is coming and they never wait to see what it is. Deer seem to be curious. Will even stop at a whistle for long enough for a shot. I would not try that with turkeys. If a turkey sees that something is just not right or there is a movment in the brush...they are gone! most times. Good example is if you are calling and not using a decoy. When that long beard crests the hill you better be ready to shoot. If he does not see that hen that has been calling to him when he gets there. He most likly will run...simply because the situation just does not look right to him. GOOD LUCK AND KEEP CHASIN THEM!

MAK

Postby MAK » May 1st, 2008, 6:04 am

I believe Ben Lee said a deer sees a stump and says to itself that's a stump, a turkey sees a stump and says that's something that wants to eat me.......

They may have surprised each other causing it to change paths, saw that happen with a porcupine a few years back, and I quit counting the number of times a deer has messed up a hunt.

As for the old timer part, depends on your viewpoint, I like to say I've been aged just like a fine wine.............  
MAK

silvestris

Postby silvestris » May 1st, 2008, 2:26 pm

I think Ben said, "a deer sees a man and thinks, that is a stump; a turkey sees a stump and thinks, that is a man."
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » May 1st, 2008, 5:01 pm

Turkeys don't smell, he probably had a hen come into him, be careful making a bird gobble too much early in the mating season you are asking for trouble if you do. Once he cut's off your call just stop, he will come in looking in most cases.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

beardbuster

Postby beardbuster » May 2nd, 2008, 4:40 pm

years ago one guy said if turkeys could smell you we would never kill em. have to agree with the other guys. hens came in and he left or the skunk crossed paths with the bird and scared him. but since they don't smell the little stinker wouldn't bother him.

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » May 3rd, 2008, 4:47 am

Thanks fellas...For the info this why I love this forum..It's the best source of information for a new hunter...The field expierence is key but it helps to have an idea about what your doing...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion