South and SouthWest Colorado

GearJammer

South and SouthWest Colorado

Postby GearJammer » April 27th, 2008, 4:39 am

Well...I have scouted several areas in sw Colorado, mainly areas 75, 77, 78, and 781. There seems to be a good population of Merriams available even after that long winter snow snap. Anybody else in these areas? Good luck!
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

GearJammer

RE: South and SouthWest Colorado

Postby GearJammer » May 1st, 2008, 4:56 am

Just curious if anyone here works for the Colorado D.O.W.? I have a couple questions about "limited" and "unlimited" licenses. Thanks!!

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » May 1st, 2008, 12:37 pm

GearJammer, it looks like it's just you and me carrying on the conversation for CO and NM!  Good to hear you have found some birds to hunt.  I have heard that the numbers are good up that way.  Keep me updated on your hunts.
Jim

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » May 5th, 2008, 3:51 am

Gearjammer, I don't work for the Colo DOW but do know something about the regs.

What do you want to know?

Sorry if I'm a bit late on this but I've been a hunting.

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » May 6th, 2008, 5:05 am

Got your PM Gearjammer nut I thought I would put my answer here too in case others are interested.

Hey Gear, if you have a Colo DOW turkey brochure (available online) it will make my answer more easily understood.

The limited license has to do with the area you hunt in and are only good for the unit specified on the tag. The units for turkey and big game are the same.

A general tag is good in any unit that is open to turkey hunting EXCEPT those units with limited licenses. All these units are listed in the turkey brochure. A limited tag is only good for the unit specified on the tag. A limited license must be applied for and they are issued in a lottery type drawing a few weeks before the season (spring or fall) starts.

Also if you draw a limited license you can still purchase a general tag but can NOT hunt in the limited unit with the general tag. You can only harvest one turkey in a limited unit with a limited tag. You can possibly harvest 2 turkeys in Colo in the spring, one on a limited tag and in the specified unit and one on a general tag in a unit open to turkey hunting but not a limited turkey unit.

Hope that answers youtr question.

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » May 7th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Hey TreeRooster. I did get your email...thanks for the additional info! I meant to ask you, are you in SW Colorado or northern New Mexico? Thanks again!

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » May 10th, 2008, 8:08 am

I,m from N E Colorado.

jcscofie

Postby jcscofie » June 20th, 2008, 6:53 am

Hey guys - I live in North Central Colorado - but never hunt birds here - I always pay an arm and a leg to hunt as a non-resident in Iowa... (Got a nice 20 pounder with a muzzleloader this year) - I want to start hunting here in Colorado - but dont even know where to start scouting - any suggestions?
Thanks

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » August 8th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Hey JCSCOFIE! Sorry to just now be getting to your post...I hadn't noticed it there until today (8-8-08). Anyway..if you are serious about coming to Colorado, the Colorado Dept of Wildlife has a great website that shows the different areas around the state that hold Merriams and Rios. We have an abundance of Merriams here so you shouldn't have much trouble finding some. Good luck!!

EdD270

Postby EdD270 » August 15th, 2008, 2:43 pm

The CO DOW website also has a page of harvest stats for previous seasons both by unit or hunt and also by county. Check that out for information on the most productive areas.

Next

Return to Colorado