My first turkey

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Steve_In

My first turkey

Postby Steve_In » April 28th, 2008, 3:33 pm

My first after 6 years of hunting. I harvested a 15-1/2 lb Jake Saturday at Roush Lake. This is my first turkey. What a thrill when the smoke cleared and he was flopping right where I shot him. I used my JAS COOPER 10 bore original SxS. I had just set-up after an unproductive morning. I called 3 short yelps twice and set my box call down and had half a ham sandwich. I was chewing the last bite when I heard a very close gobble. I picked up my gun when I saw the birds coming towards me. I did not take the time to put my mouth call in. I positioned myself to face the birds and cocked old JAS COOPER. They came straight in going out of sight for a few minutes when they crossed the head of a ravine. When they got to about 50 yards the lead bird went into strut when he spotted my decoys. When they did not react to him he started to move off to my right getting behind some small trees. The other bird came closer but did not offer a shot. He decided the follow the gobbler. I felt he was about 38 or 40 yards out. My confidence ends at about 35 yards. I decided to take him if he gave me a chance. When I stepped it off it was 42 paces. There were 6 visible pellets in the head neck area. When I cleaned him there were a few in the breast and thigh.
I used 1-3/4 oz hard #6 shot and same volume of 2fg Goex.

Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

RutnNStrutn

RE: My first turkey

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 28th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Congrats on your first bird!!!  And with an old time smoke pole to boot!!  I'd say that bird is a real trophy!!

quackingtim

Postby quackingtim » April 28th, 2008, 7:27 pm

Your over here too.  I don't blame you.  I love that picture.
H.I.T. squad team member
Buck Gardner Calls prostaff

Dank

Postby Dank » April 30th, 2008, 7:54 am

Beautiful gun, great pic and congrats on the bird!!! It sure feels good doesn't it???
Failure is often our best teacher.

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » April 30th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Congratulations!! A true trophy with that gun I'm sure..I bet you forgot about the other half of the sandwich.. Turkey sandwiches now...Great job...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

sashultz

Postby sashultz » May 1st, 2008, 4:54 am

Way to go! My buddy hunted with a SS smoke pole in Wv. He never went back to a modern shotgun. You have a heck of a trophy there. Congrats!

MAK

Postby MAK » May 1st, 2008, 6:06 am

That's a heck of an accomplishment! Great looking gun! I sure do love the smell of blackpowder. Congrat's!
MAK

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 1st, 2008, 5:33 pm

Thanks guys.  I have been shooting ML for over 40 years.  When the 10 bore became available I jumped all over it.  The barrels have been rejoined, bobed 1.25", bored and jug choked.  I had to make a new sear for the left lock.  I just wish it had sling swivels.  It is a bear to tote.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turk2di

Postby turk2di » May 2nd, 2008, 2:48 am

Congrats on your bird!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 2nd, 2008, 3:39 am

Congrats!  Busting him with a smokepole too. Good luck tagging out.

Jim

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion