Stoeger shotgun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
swpatrkyhunter

Stoeger shotgun

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 20th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Hi all! I just wanted to share with everyone my recent purchase of a Stoeger Model 2000 12 guage shotgun. My long time hunting buddy got one last year and I was so impressed with it I got one for this year. It has the Inertia recoil operated system that reduces the guns recoil and is more reliable in the field. The gun holds a really tight pattern at thirty-five yards. I don't read much about other hunters using this gun in Turkey and Turkey hunting, But would recomend this gun to anyone.

grunt_doc

RE: Stoeger shotgun

Postby grunt_doc » April 21st, 2008, 3:26 am

So would I.  Both my brother and I have one.  I heard lots of guys basing them on other forums.  As long as you follow the break-in procedures, there will be no problems.  I just used up 100 or so rounds of left over steel shot and some clays.  I went back this past weekend with some low brass skeet rounds.  No problems.  You have to keep the action clean!  I have a rifled slug barrel for it too.  Between water fowl, upland birds, and deer, it should get loys of use. 

Doc

outdoorsmen

Postby outdoorsmen » April 21st, 2008, 2:58 pm

grunt, if you bought that gun as a combo you may want to give them a call to see if your fell into the recall timeframe

allchokedup

Postby allchokedup » April 21st, 2008, 3:18 pm

I purchased a new Stoeger 2000 (steady grip stock) this year and I love it. I have had no problems with this shotgun at all and love the way it shoulders and patterns. I hope they come out with a 20 gauge soon. Happy hunting.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 21st, 2008, 4:32 pm

Your experience is just what I hear from a lot of my readers. Everyone who actually owns and shoots that gun really likes it.

I was a bit curious about the break in period and what you did. I think that might be beneficial for other readers if you'd outline it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 22nd, 2008, 4:01 am

Clark,

Take it apart and clean the hell out of it.  You have to remove all of the oil/grease/ect.  Give it a very light lube and head to the woods/range.  Shoot at anything:  paper, clays, whatever.  Now is NOT the time to pattern.  I would throw at least 100 shells through it.  You can use junk shells, but they need to be high brass, or at least not light loads.  (I used up left over steel shot that was on the verge of rust)  Take it all apart and clean the hell out of it again...then start over. 

The inertia drive is different from a regular gas gun.  You have to work those parts together using friction to get them broken in just right.  The problem some people have is that they try to use light loads too soon, or they don't keep the action clean.  This will cause a misfire (dented primer).  REMEMBER: for safety reasons, always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction for at least 10 sec after a misfire, eject the shell, and discard it.  Expect at least a few during the break in.  I had 1 dented primer and one misfeed (it was a nasty shell, so I don't really count it).  I have never had one since.

If you break them in correctly, they are fantasic guns.  I hope that helps.

n57flyguy

Postby n57flyguy » April 29th, 2008, 3:44 pm

I shoot a Stoeger M-2000. It has been so so. First one I had, I broke in fairly well with high brass steel loads for goose hunting but it had already began misfiring. Turns out after sending it back, the whole f***ing reciever was out of line. That pissed me off.

Now, they sent me a new gun which is fine. I'll give it great patterns, which is what counts. Really light, but the intertia system keeps it so light the thing kicks hard. Overall, it is a good gun, few things I don't like about it even now.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 30th, 2008, 5:18 am

Hey Matthew,

I really appreciate your sharing your break in procedure. I think all too often we forget about breaking in, or wearing in, our shotguns. We routinely do that with high powered rifles and we would not think of carrying a duty gun or using a gun for self-protection without a break in period. When it comes to shotguns however, it's easy just to pick one up and expect it to work perfectly.

I've also found that most turkey chokes need a break in period to optimize their performance. I often suggest to readers that they do exactly what you did, shoot some inexpensive or "junk" shells through their new turkey choke. Shoot, clean, shoot, clean, etc. I've had many folks reply that their choke shot much better after this procedure.

One advantage of still target shooting and testing various shotshells is that you shoot many more shells than you might when you hunt. You start to see the effect that shooting many shells through a barrel or choke tube has. Some of my best shooting chokes and barrels are ones that have had hundreds of rounds shot through them.

Thanks again,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

urbaneruralite

Postby urbaneruralite » May 1st, 2008, 3:09 am

Those are very different sounds. Have you ever heard a putt or a cutt? Perphaps you should get an audio recording to practice by.

Return to Shooting