Question Bow Hunters

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
GobbleGobble

Question Bow Hunters

Postby GobbleGobble » April 23rd, 2008, 7:08 am

Hello My Bow Hunter Friends[:D]
I am trying to do the bow hunting thing for turkeys after having got 5 turkeys in the past 3 years with the 12 gauge.

That being said....Is the only way of getting a turkey with a bow is by using a blind.  I like being mobile while I hunt and the thought of having to be in one place with a blind concerns me.

Obviously there is a lot more movement drawing a arrow on the target than with a shotgun... so have I answered my own question by saying I need to be in a blind to hide my movement?

STEROIDCHICKEN

RE: Question Bow Hunters

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 23rd, 2008, 8:11 am

howdy gobblegobble,
that is one of my goals this year...to get a bird with my bow. i have already taken 4 with my shotgun and have been hunting with my bow ever since. i am like you on the blind thing...i know it would help with your movement but having that mobility is something that i need...sometimes. try putting some fake foilage around the limbs of your bow to help conciel your movement..if hunting with dekes, stake themout in a way that the tom will be facing away from you allowing you to draw back...i haven't had the chance on a tom yet, but have drawn back on some jakes just to see if i could get away with it..so far, i'm good..not sure what will happen as soon as i get the tom within range....if you know where the birds are going to off roost, i would advise using a blind. good luck to you.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Dank

Postby Dank » April 23rd, 2008, 9:13 am

Without a blind or something in front of you its going to be tough. i love bowhunting more than anything no matter what i'm hunting. so when i first started turkey hunting i was determined to kill my first with a bow. well, to make a long story short after two seasons and calling in numerous birds i managed to sucessfully reach full draw exactly once. the bad part is that the one time was perfect, at twenty yards he went behind a tree. i clucked on my mouth call to stop him as he cleared the tree and i hit full draw only to have my arrow come unnocked. so, there i was with him at twenty yards staring at me and my arrow laying harmlessly on the ground (talk about helpless). i tried for those two seasons without a blind because i like to be "out" while i hunt (i dont even deer hunt out of shooting houses, it just seems to defeat the purpose of hunting to me) and its tough especially if their is more than one turkey. i gave up on the bowhunting thing so i could finally kill some turkeys, but one day i'm gonna make it happen. i will say that those two seasons i was relegated to just watching i learned a ton, and i wouldnt take them back for anything. Anyway, good luck!!! (because your gonna need it) lol
Failure is often our best teacher.

RNC

Postby RNC » April 23rd, 2008, 11:34 am

When my brother wants to get out an put some miles on he carries a roll up half blind. Its camo material with stakes in it. In the event he finds some birds and has the time the sets is up and crawls behind the wall. It wont cover you completely but does give you a little bit of instant cover so you can atleast try to get into a shooting position.

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » April 23rd, 2008, 11:42 am

I was afraid of that....Dank[&o] 
I was at Dick's Sporting Goods to look for just a single blind that I could easily put up....I brought it home (last month), set it up in the back yard, and then climbed in with my bow to try it out....  too small[:@]

I soo want to get off a shot at a turkey with my bow (which I only got last summer)...but your experience sure shows the challenge facing me.

SteroidChicken... I like the idea of putting fake foilage on the bow... It can't hurt to try.

Thanks guys and anyone else who has any thoughts to help me bag a turkey with the bow.  I had been reading the magazine and just today I thought about seeing if they had a website...I shoot and score with this message board. [:D]

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » April 23rd, 2008, 11:47 am

Thanks! 

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 24th, 2008, 3:54 am

As RNC mentioned, you can't go wrong with the Hunter's Specialties portable ground blind. At 30 inches tall, it fold in half and rolls up to a small bundle only 14 inches long to fit neatly in the bottom of your vest. If you want to stay portable, they can't be beat...it goes up and comes down in seconds. I own three of these and wouldn't hunt without them.

It won't conceal the top limb of your bow, but you can get away with adjusting your position and shifting your legs which is a huge plus.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » April 24th, 2008, 4:24 am

[:D] I am going to the store today to get one....GREAT IDEA friends!!!!

Charley B

Postby Charley B » April 25th, 2008, 9:36 am

I'm in the same boat as you, after 2 tom taken with a .12 gauge, this year, I will grab my bow. But I don't want to use a blind.  So I bought a shadow grass curtain type such as Fan Club posted.  I will be hiding in front of a field in a tree line ditch.  I will set the curtain In a U shape around me, having the part facing me lower than my arrow (obviously) and both sides of the U shape, higher than my cams.  So I beleive that I will be able to draw If the gobbler Is at my left or right, If he's facing toward me, It will be more difficult perhaps...
I also did put camo flleece on the bright part of my sight (the optic fiber coil)
and painted the fletching camo...
Good luck and give us news from your bow hunt!!!
Me, It will be May second the opening day!!!!!
Charley 

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » April 29th, 2008, 7:00 am

WELL>>>>>>>>  I got my roll up ground blind...Now if I can just get this ole Gobbler to come so I can try to get a shot off.  He and about 6 hens roost in this grove of trees that have plowed fields on each side.  When I set up on one side they land on the other side and won't come my way.  This has happened 2 mornings.....Grrrr  >  I love hunting Turkeys[:D]

Return to Strategies