High Grass??

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gobblernut

High Grass??

Postby Gobblernut » April 28th, 2008, 1:03 pm

Fellas..I was hunting this past saturday with my girlfriend(she's hooked just don't want to admit it) Anyway I was hunting next to a field that had some tall type of cover crop it was probably 2-1/2 feet tall.. I had worked a bird within 80 yds across from us he got in the wood line next to the field and was absolutely hammering back to every call I offered for probably a good 30 min but would not dare to step out into that field. So !! Will they come throgh high vegetation? Either he could see the field and didn't see any thing and just said the heck with it. Or either the vegetation was to tall! this bird was hot he came from about 200yds.
I don't know if he would have came even if I would have had my decoy out..Thanks.
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

silvestris

RE: High Grass??

Postby silvestris » April 28th, 2008, 2:26 pm

What time of day.  Early morning with a heavy dew?  They don't like to get their skirt wet.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 28th, 2008, 4:21 pm

The standard theory of "they won't come through thick vegetation" just doesn't hold true..........at least not all the time.  If they want to come, they will.  I've seen turks come through amazingly thick stuff.  Heck, I've seen them walk through water up to their chest down here in Florida. 
On the other hand, why make it hard on them?  Next time, set up where he won't have to come through the tall field.  Try setting up on a corner where whatever side he walks down, he can just walk the edge to get to you. 
I'd set up back in the woods with a decoy out near the field, preferably up on a log so the tom could see it over the tall vegetation. 
Good luck!!

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » April 30th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Thanks fellas, I was hunting in the early morning at day break it was probably 7:30 when I got on him.
Anyway The reason I didn't move was i was afraid he was too close I didn't want to bump him..That's my down fall sometimes I rather sit back instead of geting close afraid of bumping them but I know it's going to happen..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion