How do you "Finish Off" the ole Tom???

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Fan Club

RE: How do you "Finish Off" the ole Tom???

Postby Fan Club » April 26th, 2008, 3:47 am

[size=85]So I grabbed him and we commenced to fight right in that mud hole.
[/size]

Yeeehaaa! Tha's what I'm talkin' about. LMAO.

I've never understood the mad dash to a downed turkey. It doesn't make any sense running with a loaded firearm. I've seen many a hunter run and fall, especially on freshly plowed fields. I've read that hunters used to hurry to "finish off" turkeys so they wouldn't thrash about unecessarily and damage too many prized feathers. Well, the few times I've stood on a dying turkey's neck it caused them to thrash even more and I've gotten spurred.

I just remain seated and alert with my gun up in case I need a follow up shot, which is seldom required. I surmise that the dash originated many decades ago when turkeys were taken with shotguns and loads ill suited to the task and the turkey getting away was a real possibility. In lean economic times, second shots were discouraged because shells were too hard to come by.

Jeff

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 26th, 2008, 4:03 am

Yeah..I'll agree on that one too.  Hit him once and get right back on him "just incase" you need a follow up shot.  9 times out of ten he's done and it's the nerves that are working.  Plus you never know if he is/isn't alone and I've personally seen both in the field and on TV where the less dominate bird will walk over and give him some spur action for good measure!  Thats perfect especially when your buddy is with you and needs to fill his tag as well.  I think too that as long as you dont move after a shot that the bird just simply hear a "loud noise" and wont associate it with a human if you dont go running into the field where you can be seen.  This is just my .02 cents.
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

M. Gallopavo

Postby M. Gallopavo » April 26th, 2008, 7:22 am

Good story, bowebb.

JPH

Postby JPH » April 26th, 2008, 2:08 pm

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

I've never understood the mad dash to a downed turkey. It doesn't make any sense running with a loaded firearm. I've seen many a hunter run and fall, especially on freshly plowed fields. I've read that hunters used to hurry to "finish off" turkeys so they wouldn't thrash about unecessarily and damage too many prized feathers. Well, the few times I've stood on a dying turkey's neck it caused them to thrash even more and I've gotten spurred.

I just remain seated and alert with my gun up in case I need a follow up shot, which is seldom required. I surmise that the dash originated many decades ago when turkeys were taken with shotguns and loads ill suited to the task and the turkey getting away was a real possibility. In lean economic times, second shots were discouraged because shells were too hard to come by.

Jeff

I think there is a lot of truth in that statement. Nobody should be running with a loaded gun and I agree that it may be a holdover from the days of turkey hunting with goose loads. When you see his neck snap, he does a cartwheel and winds up stuck to the dirt, there is no need to get excited.

I do, however, believe that if there is any doubt, the ethical thing is to get up and move to him. Remember, we have a moral obligation to see that the animal dies quickly and that we recover it as soon as possible.

Again, I am not talking about running. When the shot looks less than perfect, I simply rise, relaod and move toward the bird. If he were to lift his head, "bang". If I confirm that he is hit well, I back off and let him quiver.

shooter458

Postby shooter458 » April 27th, 2008, 9:45 am

First let me say i agree with sitting and watching after the shot .you only run if your the hunted.that being said i use the 12+12 method that is 12 gauge followed by size 12 rocky boot works every time.ps.if he is looking at you say goodby first.

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » April 27th, 2008, 5:47 pm

[:)] Good ole' red oak stick to the back of the neck...As far as staying on the bird after the shot...I'm usually on top of the bird before he can get 5yds..Good to be tall, skinny, and quick..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 28th, 2008, 5:45 am

I guess I've been fortunate.  I've had a lot of flopping birds, but never had them looking up at me.  I usually just pick them up (carefully to avoid getting spurred) and let them flop their last flops and then lay them down.  Never had to do anything else.

Dank

Postby Dank » April 28th, 2008, 5:56 am

ORIGINAL: Gobblernut

[:)]I'm usually on top of the bird before he can get 5yds..Good to be tall, skinny, and quick..

Thats what i'm talking about.
Failure is often our best teacher.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 24th, 2008, 11:05 am

boy , have i been missing out ? i just got hooked up last week with this website . guess you could say i am computer shy . finishing the bird is a peculiar subject to me but it does cause me to remember some fine hunts .like many i thought one must get up and run to the bird. the first few times , when it was all over i was losing more blood than the turkey.dead turkeys can easily open up your hand even with blunt spurs.over the years i have tried several types of shotguns . if i did'nt hunt turkeys i would not own one . now i am using a side by side 12 ga. the modified choke in the right barrel is good out to 30 yards. the full choke has taken one at 39 . but i like a set up with limited visibilty which generally puts the bird well inside my full choke range. last spring i took one bird . when he came into view he was 25 yards. i was standing do to having trouble with my knee.he came to about 10 yards and then it was time for me to turn on him.when he was at 10 yards he was behind me . i had my head twisted around like an owl.i had to rotate half circle , mount the gun and swing through like a quail shot.i used the modified barrel and made a clean kill at 22 steps. by the way it was a head shot. also i shoot two and three-quarter inch shells, number 6 shot .                                   ''old school turkey tactics''

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 20th, 2008, 1:55 pm

WITH A FORK !stab the LAST piece on the platter and push it through some gravy. now the hunt is over!   ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion