TICKS!!!

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

TICKS!!!

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Guys,
   I have a question, especially for those who hunt in areas loaded with ticks.  I will be hunting in MA where the woods are absolutely LOADED WITH TICKS!  Hunting in NY we never really had any issues with them.  My question is what can I do besides spraying my clothes with deep woods off 25%?  I have been spraying down my clothes for the last few days to get the stuff in there in hopes that it will act as a deterrent but is there more I can do?  Will the birds be loaded with them too?  I plan on tucking in my long underwear into my socks and spraying then sraying off once I get out of the truck.  If you guys could provide me with some ideas that work pretty good i would appreciate it.  I am real paranoid about lyme disease. 

Thanks guys,
Mack
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

silvestris

RE: TICKS!!!

Postby silvestris » April 27th, 2008, 1:22 pm

"
Tick pliers" and somebody to look where you can't.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Yeah i just looked em up and will be getting a pair.  nasty little buggers.
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 27th, 2008, 2:40 pm

Mack-

I hunt Missouri every year where the ticks are plentiful. I have a routine that works pretty well. I spray my clothes with premetherine that is designed specifically for ticks...I'm not familiar with the DW Off 25%, but the stuff I use works well.

Equally important is the way I dress. Knee high rubber boots are great for early morning dew and wading creeks, but excel at preventing ticks from getting up your pantlegs. I have hunted in camo bib overalls for years for tick protection. It doesn't give them a waistband area to enter since you are sitting on the ground and I've seen the other guys at camp that wear standard shirts and pants get 'em bad some years around the midsection. I use long cuffed gloves and always make sure they are pulled up. I wear a 3/4 headnet, but I always tuck the bottom into my jacket collar and pull it up on the sides and back over the bottom of my hat. This prevents getting ticks in your hair and neck area. Years of trial and error have proven these precautions to be worthwhile.

I also hunt with a Thermacell unit. It is more for mosquitos and black flies than ticks, but seems to do a great job on all insects.

Lastly, yes, I've seen the turkeys lousy with ticks as well. Although it looks cool, I will not carry a dead turkey over my shoulder. As the turkey's body cools, the ticks will be abandoning ship looking for another host and having the bird that close to your neck and hair is not favorable. I always carry my birds in the game bag of my vest. They fit in neatly with the head tucked under a wing. When you get back to camp or your truck lay the bird away from clothing and bedding for a while for the ticks to jump off.

If you follow these time honored suggestions, you should be able to concentrate on, and most importantly, enjoy your hunt.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Hey thanks for the great reply.  I will feel alot better going into the woods tomorrow morning doing just what you told me.

Thanks Again,
Mack
-John Paul Jones

jpb

Postby jpb » April 27th, 2008, 4:34 pm

FanClub, spot on with the answer.I never though of bibs for tic controll.But now that you mention it im putting a pair on my wish list.Thanks..
Joe

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » April 27th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Try spraying down clothing with a little vinegar and water..Smells rough but seems to help..Grandfather told me that years ago..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 28th, 2008, 2:17 am

Fan Club!  Thanks for the advice brother.  I went out this morning and came back with zero ticks on me.  Got my bird too!

Mack
-John Paul Jones

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 28th, 2008, 2:40 am

Way to go Mack...congrats on your bird!

You're welcome for the suggestions, happy to help. That's what the forum is for, to share hard earned experience with the brotherhood. I leave for Missouri May 1 st so I'll be following my own advice shortly.

I'll look for your pics.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

shooter458

Postby shooter458 » April 28th, 2008, 6:56 am

get on cabelas web site and get yourself sawyers tick spray this stuff works kills ticks not a repellent the miltary use`s it   

Next

Return to Strategies