10 gauge shells?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
santoll

10 gauge shells?

Postby santoll » April 22nd, 2008, 6:46 pm

I have a remington sp 10 and I was just wondering what the latest and greatest shells are for a ten gauge?  I realize this depends on patterning my gun which I will do this weekend but I'm wondering if there is anything comparable with hevi-shot?  I'm looking for a few choices to pattern with and all I've come up with is the same old shells I've been using for years.

ps..I'm very excited to finally be in a place where I can have these conversations.  It's hard to find a hunitng fanatic to match me in my NY town.

grunt_doc

RE: 10 gauge shells?

Postby grunt_doc » April 23rd, 2008, 7:57 am

I use a 10 GA too.  I have a NEF single shot.  I put a kick's gobblin' thunder choke tube on it (.695) and I use federal #5's.  it patterns great for me.  Basically, if I shoot at anything inside 25 yds, there won't be any head in the pictures.  I got great patterns way out past 50 yds too.  I'm glad that I don't have to drop the cash on pricey shells to get the results I want. 

Where in NY are you? I

Doc

santoll

Postby santoll » April 23rd, 2008, 6:28 pm

I'll definately give that a shot, thanks Doc.  I live about an hour from the city in a small town called Putnam Valley.  We got a few turkeys here but it can get a bit crowded on the small property I have permission to hunt.  Trying to make every shot count...

Lorenzo

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 24th, 2008, 3:14 am

Lorenzo,

I just mapped out your town (I'm up in Syracuse).  You might want to talk to the Public Affairs Officer (PAO) or the Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR) office at West Point.  They may allow hunting on the grounds.  Some of the military bases I've been stationed on were big enough to have game wardens!  The worst they can say is no. 1 week left!!!!!

Doc

santoll

Postby santoll » April 25th, 2008, 7:48 pm

I've never even thought about that and I've passed by west point a million times! I'll look into that for sure, thanks a million Doc.  After you think about hunting birds in March, can't believe we got less than a week untill go time.  Good luck and shoot straight this season!

Lorenzo

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 26th, 2008, 4:06 am

Good luck to you too!  Keep me posted on the West Point thing....I may end up heading down there some time if it's allowed.

Doc

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 12:40 pm

Grunt,
 Brother has same exact gun/set up as you do and it is a killing machine.  USCG here!  13 years in and E-6. 

"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » April 28th, 2008, 2:51 am

CG is no joke!  I figured from your JPJ quote that you were either CG or Navy.  13 years!?!?  I put in 6. HM2 (FMF/SW).  Man, I like that quote.  You should go to the NAval Academy Chappel Crypt and see his tomb.  It's pretty amazing.  Ok, back to guns.....

If your brother is into woodchuck hunting, he can switch to a mod choke and 00 buck.  We use that when the grass is high and we "flush" the chucks when walking the fields.  Enjoy.

Doc

Return to Shooting