Priceless!!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gobblernut

Priceless!!

Postby Gobblernut » April 26th, 2008, 11:14 pm

That's right a 9yr. old boy ironically named Jake gave me enough enjoyment out of 1 hunt to last a lifetime. April 24th I took my cousins little nine year old boy who had never been turkey hunting. We sat up in a blind with birds gobbling below us probably 150yds.. I call they gobble he's asking questions he's absolutetly amazed at the sound. After about 15 min He jumps and says I see em" After calming him down and locating the birds myself I realized that they were about 40 yds..He's shooting a 20 gauge with just remington high brass #4 Shot so i'm thinking 20 or 25yds to make it a comfortable shot. With the birds in sight and him absolutetly shaking visably I thought he will never be able to hold still long enough to shoot.. They made their way along side of the blind about 20 yds I had him set up and ready to shoot other than him shaking. As the came out from behind a little hump he fired..Checkmate !! bird down he jumps out of the blinds window. Totally estatic.. I have to practically hold him in order for me to take ashot at the other bird that flew about 30 yds and sat down in the edge of the field. I fired bird fell..This paragraph can not even come close to the joy that those 2 birds brought to that 9 yr old and the joy that he had given me to sit and witness him kill that bird..Never dreamed that he would ever stop shaking and hypervenalating long enough to even pull the trigger..
Pictures are coming soon..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

JPH

RE: Priceless!!

Postby JPH » April 27th, 2008, 3:35 am

What a great story! Let me be the first to offer congratulations. And let me be the first to say thank you for giving Jake the gift of this experience and for giving us another hunter for life.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 27th, 2008, 3:48 am

He'll remember that as long as he lives too. Sounds like another incurable Turkey hunting addict in training to me.

Funny thing is that even though we don't show it the same way, our minds do what his did when he saw those birds (least mine does anyway!).

Thanks for sharing a great story.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 27th, 2008, 6:30 am

Wow, Jimmy, you've had a great year!

Two for two yourself and now Jake's first bird. Thank you for taking the time to get a kid involved in hunting.

As my Aussie mum-in-law used to say, "Good on ya, mate."

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 28th, 2008, 6:32 am

Fantastic story!!  Congratulations, can't wait to see the pics!

Dank

Postby Dank » April 28th, 2008, 6:48 am

ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

Sounds like another incurable Turkey hunting addict in training to me.

If that wont do it for you nothing will!!! Congratulations.
Failure is often our best teacher.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion