Double Whammy

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
ylpnfol

Double Whammy

Postby ylpnfol » January 29th, 2012, 2:30 pm

the first winter turkey season [ 2 week season ] came to an end yesterday, came away empty handed, didn't even see a turkey for that matter, i was looking forward to it when they announced it, but after 3 months of hunting, and some uninviting weather, i didn't go much [ i'm tired ], but the real kick in the a?s was when i rolled up to a beautiful hardwood tract, to go hunting yesterday [ where i killed my first bird last spring ], there was a logging truck parked there, and when i left a skidder was parked beside it :evil: , so it looks like another hardwood forest is about to disappear,times being what they are, i see alot of timber harvesting going on.....sad me thinks
David

You never know, unless you go

BigGobbler

Re: Double Whammy

Postby BigGobbler » January 29th, 2012, 2:55 pm

Yes that Sucks big time. The thing about it is if they log it the right way and do controlled burns on a regular bases it will help the turkeys out.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » January 29th, 2012, 3:10 pm

agreed, but more than likely it will be done like the properties adjacent to it, clearcut and left to become a hardwood thicket, it may be ok for a couple of years, a few more than that for deer, but after that.....
David

You never know, unless you go

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 29th, 2012, 11:29 pm

David, I know how you feel man. A couple of years ago, on opening day of turkey season I was sitting in the woods being nice and quiet. While the sun was starting to come up I started noticeing that something wasnt right with the woods behind me. I thought I had set up closer to cedar thicket than I had but thought oh well. Then the birds started talking and soon after I started calling and had one answering me.

Thats when I realized I just got screwed. :evil: The cedar thicket that I was planning on setting up by was gone and nothing but clear cuts behind me. Then I heard a truck and with the gobbler coming closer came that wonderfull sound of a chain saw being started. Needless to say, the gobbler tucked tail and ran and I ended up with tag soup that year.

There is nothing more that I hate, is when people decide to do a clear cut. Whats the sense of cutting down trees that wouldn't even make a 2x4 or trees that are not worth a nickel? If they did a control burn afterwards it would be more understandable but more times than not it just becomes a briar thicket.

Return to Fall Hunting