choke and load for a new gun

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
onpoint

choke and load for a new gun

Postby onpoint » January 29th, 2012, 9:30 am

Last year I took a buddy of mine to Kansas. Prior to leaving we patterned our guns and to my suprise his 20 gauge 3901 beretta patterned better (more pellets in the vital kill zone) at 40-45yds than my beretta extrema II. I am was so impressed with the smaller gun (lighter, less recoil) that I reccently purchased one for myself. I will start experimenting soon with different turkey chokes and various loads. I would appreciate any advice that would "flatten out" the learning curve and save me some bucks.

Good luck in the upcoming season,

Millard
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

icdedturkes

Re: choke and load for a new gun

Postby icdedturkes » January 29th, 2012, 10:05 am

With a 20 gauge, its all in the ammo.. Ammo advancements has made the 20 gauge a legitimate 40 yard gun.. Many of the 20 g patterns with quality ammo and choke are much better than the lead patterns in a 12 gauge.

The easiest route to a 40 yard 20 gauge is to Purchase either: Hevi 13 7s or the Federal Heavyweight 7s.. The Hevi 13 7s seem to be a bit more forgiving as to choke selection and constriction. The Federal 7s with the Flight Control Wad can be more picky but you receive the added benefits of much more penetration and perfectly round and true to size pellets.

As for chokes, many quality chokes exist for your gun from Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Sum Toy Customs..

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 29th, 2012, 12:06 pm

I guess a good starting point would be the same as your buddies gun is shooting, as for what choke to use? Then try a few different shot sizes in the same shell he's shooting to see what gives you the best consistancy in your pattern.. Some guns may shoot 7's best or 6's or 5's?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

onpoint

Postby onpoint » January 29th, 2012, 12:23 pm

I read somewhere in an article about 20 gauge SS chokes in a remington 870 wingmaster and Hevishot 13 #7's. However, when I looked up SS chokes (googled it ) and didn''t come up with any info about the SS company. I wonder if that stands for Stainless Steel or the name of a choke tube company? :roll:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm

onpoint wrote:I read somewhere in an article about 20 gauge SS chokes in a remington 870 wingmaster and Hevishot 13 #7's. However, when I looked up SS chokes (googled it ) and didn''t come up with any info about the SS company. I wonder if that stands for Stainless Steel or the name of a choke tube company? :roll:

This could be a couple different things.. Indian Creek a fine choke maker recently switched to Stainless Steel and have a big SS under there logo.. Or it could have been SSX standing for Tru Glo Strut Stopper Xtreme

onpoint

Postby onpoint » January 29th, 2012, 8:15 pm

Well, this is what happens when u get old. :D The article I read was right here on T&TH. It's on the homepage when u sign in, DUH!! It's the SSX choke u guys referred to in the last post. Keep the info coming though. I need all the input I can get

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 29th, 2012, 8:17 pm

Clark is the guy you need to talk to he knows everything about chokes and how they perform. Clark (allaboutshooting) is one of our pro-staffers on here, you can find him in the Shooting section. He does alot of item profiles on how well an item performs, and yes chokes and ammo, they do alot of testing on.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

onpoint

Postby onpoint » January 29th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Thanks, I'll take advantage of his expertise

SumToy

Postby SumToy » September 5th, 2012, 9:09 pm

WoW

You have 3 chokes to pick from as was stated in the above. All built from American SS in The USA by a American.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion