How do you "Finish Off" the ole Tom???

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
GobbleGobble

How do you "Finish Off" the ole Tom???

Postby GobbleGobble » April 23rd, 2008, 12:14 pm

As much as I would like to  say I get a clean kill with the 12 gauge....I don't.[:o]

That being said... how do you finish off a turkey that you have shot and is laying there looking up at you (it's not like a dove or quail that you can just pull off their heads).  The birds I have shot are wounded enough not to fly off -but again- they are still alive and kicking.

THEN>>>>>>
On a side note- the articles I read say they don't go after the shot bird for a hour (maybe that is for the turkey shot with a arrow) and deer shot (which I don't hunt- yet).  Is that simply so they are not "scared off" to go further away before dieing????   

Thanks for letting me pick your brains!  [&:]

STEROIDCHICKEN

RE: How do you "Finish Off" the ole Tom???

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 23rd, 2008, 12:29 pm

howdy gobblegobble,
sounds like you need to change out your choke and ammo...how far on an average are your shots?
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

GobbleGobble

Postby GobbleGobble » April 23rd, 2008, 12:39 pm

I would say 15-20 yards...6 shot... Full choke.  I think it comes down to me just being a bad shot.

The question still stands though on how to finish the bird??

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 23rd, 2008, 1:14 pm

if they aren't completely done, i usually grab their legs(watch out for the spurs)and stand on there head then pull up on the legs until there done. hope this helps. 15-20 yards should put the bird down quick, you may want to try a tighter choke, with that being said, it will be easier to miss at close range though. 
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Sooner44

Postby Sooner44 » April 23rd, 2008, 1:36 pm

butt of the gun to the head does the trick for me, or heel of the boot, take your pick.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » April 23rd, 2008, 3:15 pm

I loop my tote rope around their head and hang them from a limb until dead.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

M. Gallopavo

Postby M. Gallopavo » April 23rd, 2008, 3:33 pm

You're not hitting them right.  Either they're too close and you're nearly missing or they're too far and your pattern is too thin.  Learn to judge when they are about 30 yards out, aim at the wattles and drop the hammer.  You shouldn't have to dispatch them by any other means but, if you do, pick the bird up by his head and try to snap his neck.  That should do it.

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 23rd, 2008, 4:11 pm

Most of the time it is just nerves that makes him flutter around.  Grab him by the legs (watching the spurs) like one gentleman stated and carry his ass to the truck! [:D]  If he is looking at you more than likely you aimed high and just necked him (broke his neck with a pellet) then give him the ole hillbilly head stomp.  If you want to be really humane I guess you could plug em again but that might be real messy.  Just watch those spurs whatever you do and wring his damn neck! LOL

"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

turk2di

Postby turk2di » April 24th, 2008, 3:11 am

If im not comfortable with the stage my injured bird is in, i will stand on his neck & take a small knife & push it quickly thru his skull. You can stand back after that!

urbaneruralite

Postby urbaneruralite » April 24th, 2008, 3:32 am

If you're shooting birds that close, I would not choke any tighter. The pattern that close in is already very tight. Might want to make sure your gun is shooting to point of aim, though.

Birds can be pretty tough. I remember having to work pretty hard to run down a headless chicken when I was a kid. Turkeys will appear to be alive for a little while, even with pellets through the brain. You can either let 'em flop until they're done or stand on the neck. I personally stand on the head while I do my whoopin' and hollerin'.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion