Is Turkey Hunting In the Snow A Waste of Time?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
dluders

Is Turkey Hunting In the Snow A Waste of Time?

Postby dluders » April 18th, 2008, 3:43 am

The weather forecast for this weekend here in Eastern Washington is for SNOW SHOWERS and highs around 40 Degrees F.  It's the first weekend after the Spring Turkey Hunting season opened on April 15th.  Although we enjoy a 6-week season, do you think that turkey hunters going out in such poor conditions STAND A CHANCE of bagging a turkey?  Should we just wait for better weather, and take a chance that the turkeys don't become "call shy" or "pressured" by other, die-hard hunters?

Has anybody ever hunted in the snow?  Could you follow the turkey tracks?  Any advice would be appreciated, since I've NEVER HUNTED turkeys before.

STEROIDCHICKEN

RE: Is Turkey Hunting In the Snow A Waste of Time?

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 18th, 2008, 5:04 am

howdy dluders,
i just got back from the kentucky opener. the weather was terrible. rain,light snow, freezing rain,windy and very cold. with that being said, i limited out with two birds. between the four of us hunters, we killed 7 birds, missed 5, and got busted on 3. as the weather improved, the birds weren't as active...why that was, i can't figure out. i say go on after them...good luck
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

JPH

Postby JPH » April 18th, 2008, 11:02 am

Turkey hunting is NEVER a waste of time!

Yard work? Cleaning out the garage? Finsihing that flooring job at my house? Those are wastes of time!

[:D][:D][:D]

jpb

Postby jpb » April 18th, 2008, 11:49 am

I would go out. I bet some hunters will stay home because of the forecast.
Joe

dluders

Postby dluders » April 18th, 2008, 3:18 pm

OK, I'll take everyone's advice and go out in the snow.  I just went to the Cabela's retail store in Post Falls, ID and got a mouth call and crow call (for "shock gobbling").  The weather is going to be 20 DEGREES below normal, but I guess the lack of competition from other hunters will be a good thing.  I hope my heinie doesn't freeze to the ground!

paboxcall

Postby paboxcall » April 19th, 2008, 6:20 am

I've seen several inches of snow in the middle of May in upstate PA.  And I've seen gobblers gobbling at the snow flakes as they fall.

Turkeys still do what turkeys do regardless of weather.  There's a thread on NWTF that has pics of a regular poster here and there of a hunt out west where ke tagged a nice gobbler in the middle of a snow storm!

Good luck.
"So much of this business of hunting turkeys, you stupid it up right at the last.
You do everything right for an hour and a half, and then you sit down here
and there's nothing you can do about it, you made a mistake."
Tom Kelly, [i]Turkey Tales

gutpiler

Postby gutpiler » April 19th, 2008, 1:59 pm

I hunted in the snow last weekend in wis. that said we had no problem getting them to gobble.it could be a good thing if your heinie freezes to the ground.........they wont see you move lol.

with guns......... we are citizens
without guns.....we are subjects

IDturkeyfool

Postby IDturkeyfool » April 22nd, 2008, 11:25 am

I was out near Idaho City last weekend and got Snowed-on.  I had a gobbler start gobbling at my foot crunching in the snow - at 5am, an hour and a half before first light.  I saw a jake 60 yards out, but am working on the Boss and am seeking advise for other on another thread.

I'll be out there angain this weekend no matter what the weather (hey it's spring in Idaho)
IDturkeyfool
Benelli Super Nova
Factory Turkey Choke
Mag Shok FliteControl
HV Turkey Load 3 1/2 2oz #5's

Return to Strategies