Prettiest subspecies

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dluders

RE: Prettiest subspecies

Postby dluders » April 17th, 2008, 3:59 am

The Oscellated Turkey is indeed very showy, but according to the National Wild Turkey Federation's document
 http://www.nwtf.org/conservation/bulletins/bulletin_06.pdf , the Oscellated Turkey is its own species, and is not related to the Merriam/Rio Grande/Eastern/Osceola/Gould's subspecies:

"[font=palatino-roman]T[font=palatino-roman]here are only 2 species of turkey in the world; the [font=palatino-roman]North American wild
[left]turkey [font=palatino-roman]([font=palatino-italic]Meleagris gallopavo[font=palatino-roman]), divided into 5 distinct subspecies, and the ocellated turkey ([font=palatino-italic]Meleagris ocellata[font=palatino-roman][color=#000000])....[font=palatino-roman][color=#292526][size=100][color=#000000][size=85]While the 5 subspecies of the North American turkey can be found from northern Mexico throughout all the United States, except Alaska, and into Ontario, Canada, the ocellated[/left][left]turkey exists only in a 50,000 square mile area comprised of the Yucatán Peninsula of Mexico, northern Belize and the El Petén region of northern[/left]Guatemala."
[/size][/color][/size][/color][/color]

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » April 17th, 2008, 10:15 am

Merimans.. although I live in the east. But at 30 yds my heart is pounding to hard to enjoy their beauty..I enjoy it when it is in the bed of the truck...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 20th, 2008, 2:23 pm

I enjoy it when it is in the bed of the truck...
ORIGINAL: Gobblernut

Merimans.. although I live in the east. But at 30 yds my heart is pounding to hard to enjoy their beauty..I enjoy it when it is in the bed of the truck...

I like em in the truck bed too! LOL 
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

Dank

Postby Dank » April 22nd, 2008, 9:20 am

I love my easterns, but...those white tips on a merriams feathers are spectacular. i just wish i had the time and money to hunt them all.
Failure is often our best teacher.

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 12:52 pm

If the NWTF came to me and said they would send me on a turkey hunt all expenses paid it would have to be out west in search of a Merriams hands down!
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 28th, 2008, 6:11 am

Since most of us only get to hunt the 4 main subspecies, Eastern, Rio, Merriams and Osceola, I'm not including Goulds or Oscellated in the discussion.  I've killed all 4 of the main American subspecies, and I'll go with the Merriams.  When you get a nice white one, they are the most beautiful.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion