Todays scouting

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
jpb

Todays scouting

Postby jpb » April 19th, 2008, 2:55 am

I hit the woods early again this morning hoping to hear some roosted birds.I had done the same last weekend and figured id give the same spot another try.I sat in the brush on the edge of the field and waited.I heard a hen in the same area as last week,the only thing i did different was to set up on the opposite side of the field hoping to see the birds fly down through my bino's.This is where things went bad.Im set up in the brush that seperates two fields.I can hear an owl call behind me,sounds like its in the power lines on back side of the last field.I hear this guy calling for what seamed like half an houre and each time its getting closer and closer.Now i hear a conversation in the field behind me,2 guys come ripping through the brush 20 yards away talking and blowing the owl hooter the entire time.The hen 60 some yards away shuts up never to be heard from again.The sun is now up and this yahoo walks into the middle of the field,blows into his call until he cant call no more.Listens for about a second blows again and walks into the woods on the far side and yup you guessed it blows the call again until his face turns blue.Getting no responce he crosses the field back to where his buddy is standing.They leave through the brush sounding like a bull in a china shop..If i could have found a rock i would have pelted one of them.They never saw me,i bet i could have walked up to them and they wouldn't have heard me either...This was the same field that last sat i had 5 hens and 1 tom in..I may try again tmw morning.I hope im alone but wont hold my breath..
Joe

Fan Club

RE: Todays scouting

Postby Fan Club » April 19th, 2008, 4:04 am

Hey JP-

There's no shortage of 'em...

You must be hunting public land with crap going on. I had some scary moments deer hunting public ground and swore it off a long time ago. Private only for me.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

jpb

Postby jpb » April 19th, 2008, 1:33 pm

As far as i know the land is privately owned but not "Posted".The 13 acres or so of land surrounds the fields is owned by a friend.I dont know who owns the fields tho.Every time i have gone knocking ondoors there has been no one home.There is a strip of power lines that borderes Tim's woods and the fields.The tracks in the dew led straight to the power lines.I wished i had a gobbler shaker today,I was so close to one of the yahoos that i bet the guy would have wet himself.
Joe

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 20th, 2008, 4:37 am

Time to start looking for another place to hunt that is not as easily accessible.  I found that the harder the place is to get to the less likely you are to run into nuckleheads.  Not impossible, just much less likely.

Powerlines will do that for you. People think that because the lines go there, so can they.  If you don't have another place to hunt, try scouting on a mid-week morning if possible, "Joe Saturday" (and his owl call) is bound to be at work then.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion