hog gun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
grizzly

hog gun

Postby grizzly » April 19th, 2011, 11:22 am

hey guys if you haven't been following the New York thread seems we now have pigs running around our state and worst still they been seen with in 5 miles of my home the DEC has a shoot on sight order and being i have never hunted pigs i was wondering what kind of guns you guys down south use to kill'em  . what would be enough gun to take these things down i hear that they can be hard to kill any advice on hunting them would be helpful i can only see the pictures they show of the woods that this is going to hurt the turkey numbers by destroying nest and eggs[:@] thanks for any help[:)]wayne

Sgtshultzy1

RE: hog gun

Postby Sgtshultzy1 » April 21st, 2011, 3:10 pm

I see a lot of guys using AR's for hog hunting.  Seems to work well but I dont know how big they are.  A good buddy of mine was in Fla.  a while back and he went on a hog hunt in a friends orchard that was having a hog problem.  They drove around in the back of a pickup and said guys were using a .243 and dropping them in their tracks.  Hope this helps.

Limb Hanger

Postby Limb Hanger » April 22nd, 2011, 12:14 am

Wayne -The 243 w/ the right grain bullet should work. A friend of my mine has a saying, "There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to shooting varmits". I'd like to try my T/C 50 cal muzzle loader on wild pigs.

Meadowblaster Custom Turkey Calls

Just because he isn't gobbl'n, doesn't mean he isn't listen'n!

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 22nd, 2011, 3:56 am

Use anything you would use to kill a deer other than buckshot. The have a breastplate that is really strong so shoot the vitals just above center or put one right behind the ear. They will scream when you shoot them which may bring others in to "help." Be aware of what is going on after you shoot one. They don't see very well, but the can hear and smell very well. If you play the wind right and move slowly you can stalk very close to them or walk up on them by "accident." They move fast and can swim well. They don't turn well, sidestep if one rushes you. Don't believe what you see on Hogs Gone Wild. They are just pigs, they can be dangerous but they will mostly run like idiots when they know you are there. They tend to stay in groups and will scatter in all directions. Be ready for a follow-up shot on a 2nd pig.

Almost forgot, if you shoot a boar...cut his jewels off immediately. They release a hormone or something that will taint the meat. They are good eating, a bit tough to skin. I'd rather eat wild pig than deer.
South Carolina Low Country

SpitnDrum

Postby SpitnDrum » April 23rd, 2011, 3:42 am

Here is a few pics of my varmint and predator gun 223 ar-15 semi auto lower m-16 A2 upper.We dont have a major problem with hogs around home but occasionally they are seen here and there.Probably the craziest thing I have ever seen or been apart of in hunting is accually hunting these things with dogs and a knife.I went into florida with a group about 6 year ago.The dogs would bay these hogs and we would waid in on them with a knife for the kill.We wore cut proof leggns but our torso and arms where out for the grab.

Kentucky Briar Jumper

A Kitchen-Dog is never a good rabbit HUNTER!

Return to Shooting