Turned down

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gooseberry

Turned down

Postby gooseberry » April 17th, 2008, 8:34 am

Well, I ask permission to hunt on the land I was seeing turkeys a few times a week and was turned down, although the landowner thanked me for asking. I guess it's not too late to find some more birds. What should I look for as far as signs go. I did read that it's not good to call turkeys this close to hunting season.

Gobblernut

RE: Turned down

Postby Gobblernut » April 17th, 2008, 10:10 am

Goose.. You don't always have to see birds in order to know their  there.
Hit the woods where ever you have permission around early daybreak and hit the owl hooter or crow call you may be surprised at what you hear. Sit down and get ready for the ride of a lifetime..Never give up..If he gets away today we can hunt him tommorrow...LOL.. 
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

silvestris

Postby silvestris » April 17th, 2008, 11:14 am

Don't give up on that landowner.  You know him now.  Stop and visit in the off season.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 17th, 2008, 11:22 am

Goose-

That's OK, it's all part of the experience. Turkeys range around large areas anyway so most hunters don't base asking permission solely on turkey sightings. They look for good habitat...woodlots with suitable roost trees interspersed with crop fields, etc. But lets face it, turkeys are so adaptable that they will live almost anywhere, and that's good news. I saw a hen fly across a busy four lane road in front of me at noon today. Keep askin'.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

quackingtim

Postby quackingtim » April 17th, 2008, 7:46 pm

I run people off my land every year.  If they would just ask I would let them enjoy the woods.  You did the right thing.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion