Not much happenin' today

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Not much happenin' today

Postby Cut N Run » April 15th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Heard one gobble several times this morning behind me a ways off. I could not hear any hen talk back to him, maybe because of the breeze. He moved to the north, then went quiet.  It was a bit colder than it has been. I didn't check the thermometer, but it was close to frost. Saw one adult hen pass to the south at 10 yards like she knew where she was going (away from the gobbles too). Saw another pair of what looked to be young hens cross the low ridge in front of me going east to west about 20 minutes later.  I had to work, so it was a short day in the woods for me. Friday may be the next day I get the chance to go. Saturday for sure...about the time they are calling for more rain.

tracebusta32

RE: Not much happenin' today

Postby tracebusta32 » April 15th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Cutt I am having the same thing happen here on the western end of the state, not much gobbling. We had a pretty cold couple of mornings but I am thinking this is usual early spring hunting. I think by the end of next week things should pick up gobble wise.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 16th, 2008, 2:53 am

I hope so Trace. According to the other guys who hunt the same property I do there were many Turkeys gobbling last Saturday. I hunted a different location this time and the wind and cold may have been a factor in keeping 'em quiet. They may have got fired up later in the day for all I know. I hate having to go to work during turkey season. Play when I can, work when I have to...

One of my hunting buddies got on a plane this morning headed for Guatemala after an Ocellated Turkey to complete his World Slam. He'll be gone a week. I hope he succeeds. Meanwhile, there will be one fewer good turkey hunter out at the lease for a week so I'd better take up his slack.  All I ever hunted is Easterns (and that is fine with me). I enjoy the challenge on a piece of land I have come to know like the back of my hand.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 16th, 2008, 3:29 am

Just heard someone shoot at 8:30 less than a mile from the house. No doubt what they were doing...and here I am going off to work.*sigh*

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

TheNatureBoy

Postby TheNatureBoy » April 16th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Hunted this past Monday and Tuesday.  Monday was cold and a little breezy. Monday morning I saw one hen work its way across the field about two hundreds in front of me.  Once she made her way into the woods I made my way to the pine thicket I work out of.  I used two calls, double glass (various strikers) and a box call.  I heard two gobble but not in response to my calls. The hen I mentioned earlier paid no attention to the gobblers and wasn't making a sound. Interesting!  Didn't hear another gobble all morning.  Later in the day as we rode around checking fields, I saw gobblers buddied up in pairs of 2 and 4.  Yet another interesting observation!

Tuesday was cold and windy.  Didn't see or hear anything.

Overall it was a good two days.  Saw and heard plenty of gobblers Monday.  Now that I know where they are I'm hoping for warmer weather.  Supposed to be 79 degrees this Saturday : )  

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 16th, 2008, 1:24 pm

Where you hunting NatureBoy? 

I saw a nice Gobbler crossing a gas line in a place you wouldn't expect one to be today at around 10:30 in the morning.  I'm sure it was just a cruel reminder that I was working and not hunting...Oh, Well!  That is just gonna make me want to go worse.  Saturday looks like the soonest I can go.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion