Choke Tube Help

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
M. Gallopavo

Choke Tube Help

Postby M. Gallopavo » April 15th, 2008, 4:55 am

I've got a new winchester super X-2 universal turkey gun on the way, and want to try win xtended range #5s.  The gun comes with invector plus full and x-full tubes but I'm thinking I should probably get a good aftermarket choke.  Any suggestions?

allaboutshooting

RE: Choke Tube Help

Postby allaboutshooting » April 15th, 2008, 6:06 am

Congratulations on your new gun. I know you'll love it.

I've been shooting a Winchester Super X3 (same gun internally and the same barrel) since September of last year. I used it for fall and turkey hunts and am very pleased with its performance and handling.

I tested a number of different turkey chokes with this gun and settled on the Strut-Stopper Xtreme (SSX). I shot it with all the different brands of "hard" (tungsten-based) shotshells as well as several lead loads and it did well with all of them.

I recommend that you try that choke and also that you consider #6 shot. The #6 shot just "flows" better than the others and with multiple hits, you'll have plenty of retained energy to cleanly kill a turkey at 40 yards or even beyond.

If I can be of help in any way, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll do all I can to be of assistance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

M. Gallopavo

Postby M. Gallopavo » April 15th, 2008, 6:43 am

Many thanks for your help, Clark.  The TruGlo Strut Stopper Extreme has an internal constriction of only .643 which is tighter than I would have thought to try.  However, I have a great deal of respect for your experience and opinion, and will give it a try.  At only $34.99 from Cabela's, I can hardly go wrong.  And if the #5s don't do what I want, I'll certainly try 6s.  Thanks again.

outdoorsmen

Postby outdoorsmen » April 15th, 2008, 1:20 pm

i beleive you will be pleased with your tube you have it you shoot the hevi 13 instead.  i have the same gun as you. i have several chokes for it and all will kill birds.  if all else fails you should try the indain creek black diamond strike and the hevi 13.  i'm not a fan of extended range, i'd rather shoot lead then that stuff.

M. Gallopavo

Postby M. Gallopavo » April 15th, 2008, 3:58 pm

Thanks, outdoorsmen.  I understand that a lot of people have found Hevi 13 #6 to be tops in their guns and I'll probably give it a whirl.

TWOWITHONE

Postby TWOWITHONE » April 19th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Bought one off of Clark ALLABOUTSHOOTING and aint looked back since.[:)]
09-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL FDNY

bowhunter_769

Postby bowhunter_769 » April 20th, 2008, 7:20 am

I would recommend Kick's gobbling thunder.  That's what I use, and I also shoot Win Extend Range #5's.  Amazing pattern. I would not shoot a turkey at 60yds, but the pattern with this setup is very deadly.

M. Gallopavo

Postby M. Gallopavo » April 20th, 2008, 12:42 pm

Thanks, bowhunter_769.  What type of gun do you shoot and what is the constriction of your Kick's tube?

MattinIdaho

Postby MattinIdaho » April 22nd, 2008, 2:15 pm

Another vote for the SSX!! I have a Remington 1187 and with the SSX and 3" 2oz Hevi 13 #6's I get some really nice patterns. In this particular gun, the SSX outdid my Indian Creek and my Pure Gold.
Good luck!!

beardbuster

Postby beardbuster » May 1st, 2008, 2:46 pm

if the loads are 3.5 inch try a .665 choke like kick's. or if they are 3 inch you can go tighter. trying to fit all that lead from a 3.5  six shoot thru a tight choke isn't always the best load. sometimes you get a better pattern from the 3 inch mag . using some of the new loads like hevi shot. it's recommended that you use a choke size of at least .675

Next

Return to Shooting