2012 Spring Draw Results

charlie elk

2012 Spring Draw Results

Postby charlie elk » January 22nd, 2012, 1:43 pm

As of this post they haven't been completed yet. :o
Talked with my contact at WDNR and to my surprise they still accept paper applications! :? So mostly from Dec 10th until now WDNR pays to get all these applications entered into the computer. :roll: No wait that would be turkey hunters pay this extra expense.
Guess I don't know everything I had assumed WI was like most other states and only accepted electronic apps.

Should WI make it mandatory to submit permit application electronically?

:idea: If someone doesn't have computer access they could always go to the library or any license vendor.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: 2012 Spring Draw Results

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 22nd, 2012, 3:48 pm

From what I've heard that is what they are looking to do, go all electronic apps. They are also looking to move the deadline up, so that the draw is done in Dec. instead of Feb. so that people can get their vocations times in by the first of the year, and they would know when they needed to take off. Nothing final yet but it is on the boards table to be voted on. That would put the deadline sometime in Sept - Oct.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 22nd, 2012, 5:09 pm

that would sure speed things up for us a charlie??? i do know that south dakota is still in the stone age & excepts mail in apps...

hot u a e-mail charlie in case u missed it buddy

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 22nd, 2012, 11:47 pm

I am a big proponent of making hunting available to all. Though a small segment of our society, I think there are still some out there that have no idea how to operate a computer. I would hate to see even a small segment of hunters excluded, probably some good old boys in that group too.

I can see wanting to streamline the process though and save some cost. I wonder if a small charge for a mail in app would'nt eliminate a lot of them.

As for having the draw earlier...I think there needs to be a balance somewhere. While a lot of us never stop thinking about turkey hunting we are not the majority of turkeys hunters. For some it is a bit much to have to plan your hunt in late Nov/early Dec as it is now. Moving the date earlier would make that even more so. Planning a weekend turkey hunt 4 to 5 months ahead is pretty far out for a lot of hunters.

In Colorado our app deadline is Feb 9th and results aren't out until Mar 2nd! I would like to see it earlier though, that makes it very hard for me to plan hunts a lot of times.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 23rd, 2012, 8:13 am

I am a big proponent of making hunting available to all. Though a small segment of our society, I think there are still some out there that have no idea how to operate a computer. I would hate to see even a small segment of hunters excluded

I totally agree and this is the main reason; given Wisconsin's large turkey population; it is time to get rid of the drawing scheme and go completely OTC. The number of WI turkey hunters has been going down each year. Tag sales are up because each hunter is buying more tags. This is bad for the long term health of turkey hunting. But alas, I am in the minority with this opinion.

After Willow posted about this I read the minutes of the CC board, they did briefly discuss changing the timing and conversion to electronic apps. Historically it takes the board about 3-5 years to get a change done so unless the legislature steps in (unlikely) I would be shocked to see a change anytime soon.
Moving the drawing earlier to Oct/ Nov during the peak of all the other hunting seasons going on would probably further depress the number of applicants. Perhaps moving the deadline sometime after Christmas and getting the drawing done with 10 days would be helpful. This would give hunters a chance to talk about turkey plans over the holidays. We talk about spring turkey but the conversation goes more about did you remember to apply and oh no now you're stuck late season... Those in my circle who are not as passionate about turkeys usually don't buy for the available later seasons. Plus WI will not issue a tag with the purchase of a license if you didn't apply so basically they have to pay extra for their first tag. :x
later,
charlie

dewey

Postby dewey » January 23rd, 2012, 11:56 am

Charlie I read your previous posts about mail in applications and I checked the MNDNR website and currently the MNDNR only accepts applications through the internet or any of the ELS-POS vendors, aka gas stations. In MN our applications were due January 13th and we should hear back by mid February with suprlus licenses going on sale in March.

WHEN AND WHERE TO APPLY
All spring turkey hunters 18 and older by April 18, 2012 must apply by Friday, January 13, 2012, at any of the 1,600 ELS-POS agents throughout the state. A $3.00 application fee will be charged. This fee must be paid at the time of application at the ELS-POS vendor and is non-
refundable. Applicants may also apply through the Instant Licenses System (1-888-665-4236) or over the Internet at mndnr.gov/buyalicense. An additional convenience fee will be charged for applications made through the Instant License System or over the Internet.

It seems like it takes a really long time to handle the paper applications and perhaps it could be solved by either the internet or going to a gas station. Is that an option in WI?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 23rd, 2012, 12:52 pm

It seems like it takes a really long time to handle the paper applications and perhaps it could be solved by either the internet or going to a gas station. Is that an option in WI?

Yes currently anyone who doesn't want to use an outside the DNR computer system or does not have access to one can go to any license vendor and apply without paying the online convenience fee. They only need to pay the $3 application fee. Most all towns have at least one license vendor. That is why I am surprised so many hunters apply with paper.

Last time I applied for MN as a NR I had to send in a paper app, apparently MN only accepted paper apps from NR then. MN only sells a hundred or so NR turkey licenses per year so it doesn't slow your draw very much if at all.
Bet you Minnesotans know the draw results in MN about the same time we know Wisconsin's. I have heard MN is expecting the drawing will completed by 2/1.
later,
charlie

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 23rd, 2012, 2:48 pm

even good ol boys go to gas stations wear they can apply for turkey hunting...???

draw dates keep the wk-end warriors hunting later in the season & anybody who wants 2 plan a hunt months in advance hunting early in the season... that is if you have a system wear folks can buy left over/surplus tags if they didnt get drawn or apply in time there is useally no trouble get n a tag or fighting other hunters for turkeys come late season... i allways liked the draw system to keep the non serious turkey hunters at home or fishing when im out hunting...

on-line would speed things up no doubt & it would be a good thing to do so... them good ol boys would surely learn how to apply for turkey hunting if they love to turkey hunt...???

dewey

Postby dewey » January 23rd, 2012, 4:15 pm

charlie elk wrote:Last time I applied for MN as a NR I had to send in a paper app, apparently MN only accepted paper apps from NR then. MN only sells a hundred or so NR turkey licenses per year so it doesn't slow your draw very much if at all.

You are correct about the NR papaer applications from a few years ago but it appears as though the MNDNR got rid of the mail in applications all together, see the excerpt below. Sorry for the thread drift but I am just trying to point out if MN can can rid of paper applications than other states can as well. Especially since it would speed the process up for everyone. Not to mention how much money does the WI DNR spend for people to enter the paper applications into a computer for the drawing?

If you are a Minnesota resident, you will need to go to one of the 1,800 Electronic License System (ELS) Point-of-Sale (POS) agents to purchase your license (resident license code for fall #650 $23.00, code # 655 youth $12.00) (spring code is 610, youth 601) or you may purchase by telephone for an additional fee of $3.50. Purchase by internet for an additional fee of 3% of transaction fee plus $1.65 for mailing the license.
If you are a non-resident winner, you can purchase your license (nonresident license code #651 $83.00, youth Code# 655 $12.00 for the fall hunt) (spring hunt code is 611, youth 602) by telephone (1-888-665-4236) or Internet mndnr.gov. There is a $3.50 convenience fee for telephone. Purchase by internet an additional fee of 3% of transaction fee plus $1.65 for mailing the license.

Here is a link to the MN DNR turkey hunt rules that I got the information above from.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 23rd, 2012, 11:35 pm

From what I read about it was that they wanted to do the draw earlier so that when it came time to put in for your next years vocation at work, you would know what week you drew. That I can understand might help in getting more people interested in turkey hunting instead of loosing hunters it may help gain a few?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to Wisconsin