food plots

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
ylpnfol

food plots

Postby ylpnfol » June 16th, 2011, 4:10 am

i own 20 acres of upland hardwood, for the last 4 yrs i have been planting a 20 yd x 20 yd food plot, to bowhunt over, on a flat spot in the woods, the only thing that grows worth a darn is rye grass, i've tried a couple of foodplot blends which contained rye grass, and that is the only plant that really did anything, was wondering if anyone has been successful w/ a woodland foodplot with any other plant, i'm going to try chicory this year, w/ some rye grass, any other ideas/ suggestions would be appreciated.....thanks
David

You never know, unless you go

retranger

RE: food plots

Postby retranger » June 16th, 2011, 4:25 pm

Stuff doesn't seem to grow well in the woods. You might try some brassica, deer love that stuff. I have never had any luck planting in the woods or harvesting a deer in a food plot. Had 3 acres planted once but the deer pretty much came at night. Better planting the food plot in the open and sit in the woods on trails coming in. Good luck.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » June 16th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Never have tried a food plot, i just put out a 50lb sack of corn once a week....You could try peas/clover/ or soybeans..maybe get a soil sample done and see what the soil needs to make the plants that you are planting thats not growing to grow. Sometimes it can be as simple as adding some nitrogen or a basic element
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 16th, 2011, 10:02 pm

whoee, the state of va. frowns bigtime on that baiting [ corn ] thing [ if it's not growing, you can't hunt over it ].....the rye grass does good, deer and turkey use my little grass spot in the woods, i was just fishing for ideas, i guess my options are limited because of the location
David

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » June 16th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Its legal here in KY, you just cant do it from march til the end of may. Id say so that way you cant hunt turkeys over it because when they find it, its like feeding a big bunch of chickens lol. but it keeps my herd strong in the winter and helps me bring em into bow range... TBH i prolly wouldnt even bait with corn but around my neck of the woods if you dont bait with corn then the deer is going to just go to someone elses bait pile
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » July 19th, 2011, 6:56 am

It is hard to resist the temptation not to bait. However, when the rut kick in bucks could care less about that corn pile.
I will stick to my oaks and natural deer routes and bust them chasing their girlfriends.
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » July 19th, 2011, 3:09 pm

I planted a couple of chuffa plots last month. I split the plots for turkeys/deer. half chuffa the other half was a mix of buckwheat, soybeans, and a narrow couple of rows of corn down the middle. Just going to see what happens. I can bait the deer here so if all else fails... I just want the chuffa to make it!!
South Carolina Low Country

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » July 19th, 2011, 3:57 pm

Oh trust me teoctom i dont even bait when the acorns start falling but where i hunt with a bow in the first of september the bucks aint after no girlfriend and the corn really helps me get them into bow range
-Fred Bear

Cut N Run

Re: food plots

Postby Cut N Run » December 8th, 2011, 10:58 pm

The first thing I'd do is get the soil analyzed at the State agricultural extension agency and see what it might take to get it balanced enough to grow a plot of Ladino clover, then work at getting the soil right. Turkeys and deer love that stuff. The only trouble with a clover plot that small is the deer will absolutely wear it out by over-browsing there. If you can get a clover plot started early in spring, the turkeys will be all over the young & tender growth. If you can get chufa to grow, you will probably see every turkey that lives anywhere close to that area, because they can't get enough of it.

Here in N.C., it is legal to hunt deer over corn & plenty of guys do. I prefer to find oaks putting out acorns and hunt there.

According to the NC Wildlife regulations digest, it is legal to bait an area before the turkey season, but any bait has to be totally gone by 10 days before the season starts. There are big fines for baiting turkeys, as there should be. I have even heard of guys losing their shotguns & being fined, which is way too high a price to pay when it is more fun and challenging to go after turkeys on their own terms.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

ylpnfol

Re: food plots

Postby ylpnfol » December 15th, 2011, 4:37 am

yeah jim, i put some ladino clover down w/ the rye grass, and it did pretty good, i plan on frost seeding again in late feb, early march to hopefully fill it in a bit, i hope it will take since the clover will last a few years where the rye grass has to be replanted every fall, i was blowing the leaves off of the plot last week, imagining a big boy strutting in the middle of it :D .....thanks
David

Next

Return to Strategies