Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
turkeydoghunter

RE: spring stratigies

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 8th, 2009, 2:38 pm

any one can reply to this sorry  guys ...[;)]

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 9th, 2009, 3:23 am

wow great responses.....sorry about the lack of info ...but you all know as turkey hunters sometimes we dont have the time or the info ......also it might be a place weve never been to before like in another state.......its all good....me  i like to get as close as i can depending on the terraine above him or level.....i like to let him know im here so i tree yelp on my trumpet....if he answer i repeat it....then i wait till hes on the ground ( now if other hens are with him that a different seniario) then i will do a flydown with the wing hitting the ground with it and simulating walking and scratching if hes hot and starts to close the distance i will purr and cluck  softly i also do light kee kees and yelps all the while ready for a kill......now if he go silent i will do the same thinglooking and listening for him......if he not moving but still gobbling i might cutt at him and maybe hit him with some excited yelping....if he gets closer i go back to the soft calling and scatching......now if he gobbles and goes the other way i play cat and mouse with him moving toward him getting him to gobble and closing the distance trying to be like a real hen on the move..... then i sit up quick.... i might wait for him to gobble, if he does .....then i might scracth and soft call ......sometimes changing calls works great for me....thanks to all for there input.......this is real turkey talk for real hunters no bs.........more senarios soon and be all means feel free to give one of your own no ones to old to learn.....[8|]

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 9th, 2009, 5:00 am

tdh, I like your tactics...obviously you have had a great deal of experience and have developed a solid plan for those early morning birds. 

One thing I have heard from a number of you is that you carry and use a wing (or portion thereof) to make the various sounds that turkeys naturally make during their daily routines.  I have never done that, thinking that it is just another unnecessary accessory that I would be carrying around with me, and God knows I already carry around too much stuff now.  It sounds like I should reconsider that notion....I guess it really wouldn't be all that much of a burden, and I do have a number of old wings laying around that I could modify into something similar to the pictures some of you have posted (in another thread).   

I'm a little concerned about the safety issues, though, but I guess it's just a matter of using a little common sense about when and where to use one. 

I guess my questions to those of you that carry a wing is "In your experiences, do you think that using a wing has made a real difference in getting a bird to come to you at some point?....and do you think the sound created by having a real wing can or cannot be duplicated by using something else (a stick or branch, or your hand, or an article of clothing)?"

Jim

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 9th, 2009, 6:29 am

thanks gm..... do i think a wing makes a difference? .....you bet .....i perfer the last section of a gobbler wing its more compact than a hen....the fresher the better, being limp they give a realistic sound....i replace them as i kill em ...i carry it in the pouch of my vest......i have had great sucess in mid mouning and mid day using it for wing beats of a streching turkey and for scratching in the leaves...it works good on damp days and when there not alot of leaves......i use spring and fall.....and of course on fly downs and fly ups and to mimic fighting birds along with calling......its a call only used by serious turkey hunters git ya one[;)]

greyghost

Postby greyghost » January 9th, 2009, 6:42 am

GM, The real wing is the real thing. Pretty much every thing TDH said can be applied using the wing. I think it gives a more realistic sound then using a hat (which some do with success).

I tried the plastic handled dyed ones and just feel they do not give the full effect as DGH described in using it for wing beats and streaching.

Sometimes that is the only call I will use first thing in the morning after a few tree yelps and depending on the situation.

Oh yea Ron did you ever give mine back before you left last spring? [;)]

Earl  

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 9th, 2009, 7:07 am

[8|]

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 9th, 2009, 7:15 am

im workin' on 2 of them myself @ the moment,they are spread out & drying im kind of wondering what everyone puts around the bottom of them to cover that little section of bone any & all ideas are greatly appreciated

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 9th, 2009, 8:47 am

I don't spread and dry my wings.  I like to spread them apart every day so that the feathers knock against each other when I use them.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » January 9th, 2009, 9:10 am

would they not dry out on their own,over say the winter or the season?

silvestris

Postby silvestris » January 10th, 2009, 12:20 am

Yes.  You then use the old dried up one until you can acquire a new one.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies