Suggestions for the 2012 contest

The general page for the annual turkey hunting contest. Tons of fun even if you're not on a team.
eggshell

Re: Suggestions for the 2012 contest

Postby eggshell » January 21st, 2012, 8:09 am

I'm not planning to get involved in either of those this year because I just want to relax and hunt

That is why I did not enter last year. It's not what others do but what I let it do to me that I don't like. I was in a local NWTF chapter contest for years and it made me something I didn't like. Instead of being happy hunting birds I was trying to sort them and it stole some enjoyment from my hunting. Now many years later the trophies are hidden away in the basement and collect dust more than anything, no one gives a da@@ anymore. I watched last year and it was run very friendly and cordially done. I think the fact there is nothing at stake but a little gloating and fun makes it work, as soon as you start measuring it says someone is better than another and it turns. If it becomes a scoring contest I'm out. No offense to anyone, it's like Bobby said it's my reaction to that I dislike not anyone else s. Like the old song Girls Just wanna Have Fun only it's Turkey Hunters Just wanna Have fun.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 21st, 2012, 8:47 am

I gotta agree with Bobby and Dana, last year it was a fun and clean contest that everyone enjoyed. I would like the rules to stay the same. Measurements are fine and dandy but if it goes into the contest rules I would be willing to bet that someone would holler foul because the person measuring didnt do it right.

As far as photos required, I dont care either way. But I would like to see a grace period on the photos. The reason why for example, last year my cousin and I was fortunate to take a double. My cousin's mother took plenty of pics, due mostly because it was her first turkey, but it took me a couple of months to get the pics. Here is the pic. Now isnt the smile on people's faces is what its suppost to be all about? Lets just have fun and kill some gobblers!! :D
Attachments
Bryan and Paige's first turkey.jpg
Bryan and Paige's first turkey.jpg (61.75 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Is it turkey season yet?

dewey

Postby dewey » January 22nd, 2012, 8:23 pm

kygobbler wrote:I gotta agree with Bobby and Dana, last year it was a fun and clean contest that everyone enjoyed. I would like the rules to stay the same. Measurements are fine and dandy but if it goes into the contest rules I would be willing to bet that someone would holler foul because the person measuring didnt do it right.

As far as photos required, I dont care either way. But I would like to see a grace period on the photos. The reason why for example, last year my cousin and I was fortunate to take a double. My cousin's mother took plenty of pics, due mostly because it was her first turkey, but it took me a couple of months to get the pics. Here is the pic. Now isnt the smile on people's faces is what its suppost to be all about? Lets just have fun and kill some gobblers!! :D

Well said and I agree 100%.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

hootnscoot

Postby hootnscoot » February 4th, 2012, 4:41 pm

Have the teams been picked or selected yet for the 2012 spring contest? I was on this forum every day back in December but checked out for the month of January, and now I can't seem to see if the teams have been posted. Probably right in front of me, I just aint seeing it!

Someone let me know,

Robert

dewey

Postby dewey » February 4th, 2012, 8:59 pm

hootnscoot wrote:Have the teams been picked or selected yet for the 2012 spring contest? I was on this forum every day back in December but checked out for the month of January, and now I can't seem to see if the teams have been posted. Probably right in front of me, I just aint seeing it!

Someone let me know,

Hey Robert the teams have not been selected yet.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 4th, 2012, 9:33 pm

The teams won't be finalized until a couple of days after the sign-up period ends, which is the end of February....
Jim

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » February 6th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Would it be possible to organize teams by "Region" (Rocky Mountain (West), Midwest, Upper Midwest, South (Swampers) and East). I realize not everyone falls perfectly into a region (where you live). I think potentially having "braggin rights" by region would only add to the interest. North vs. South, East vs. West etc. I personally believe we Rocky Mountain (western) hunters are better overall hunters than flatlanders (TONGUE IN CHEEK!!) I was peeking at the list and we have novice and experienced hunters from seemingly all parts of the country. Just a thought....
Last edited by NMblackgold on February 7th, 2012, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NMblackgold

Postby NMblackgold » February 7th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Nativ............the line in the sand has been drawn! I think would be kinda fun............if it happens....

take care

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » February 7th, 2012, 8:03 pm

The prob with regional teams is season dates. Here in SC the season is over May 1st. The teams will live on though Canadas season. It was pretty cool last year extending my season through others and some got to start their season early through me. It also kept the teams competing as some went out of contact why they were traveling which left the anticipation of their stories upon their return. And...we ended up with a call maker on our team that donated a traveling call that got to hunt turkeys across the nation.
South Carolina Low Country

dewey

Postby dewey » February 7th, 2012, 8:33 pm

The regional idea is very intriguing but I do like the idea of hearing some stories from some of our southern hunters who start a month before us northern hunters and living through them and vice versa. Plus everyone knows us northern hunters are the best :lol:

Dewey

       

PreviousNext

Return to Base Camp