Public Hunting grounds

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Axelwood

Public Hunting grounds

Postby Axelwood » August 12th, 2008, 6:24 pm

I live in Florida and I have the opportuntiy to hint private land on occassion in Alabama...  That is how I got hooked on hunting (started when I was 29 --two years ago)... 

This year I found myself getting my friends involved and trying public land.  We had very good experiences (lots of gobbiling-- no kills), but we did run into two other hunters in the woods one day..  both hunters were very cordial and considerate; which I was very impressed with.. 

However, I parked my truck and we walked a good mile or so in to where we were hunting.  The hunters we encountered were in trucks, and did not appear to very mobile..  Do people call from their trucks and get positive results?   For safety reasons, should I be concerned woth walkimg for miles from my truck during hunting season? It seemed like no one was leaving their truck..

I am new to public land, and I want to know the ettiquette...

hoosierhunter

RE: Public Hunting grounds

Postby hoosierhunter » August 12th, 2008, 11:06 pm

I for one appreciate your desire to, as a new turkey hunter, to approach the sport with the proper etiquette. I for one do not hunt from a truck, per say, as i don't consider that hunting, but I have pulled up to where the vehicle will be parked, and before stepping away hit the box call, struck up a bird, and proceede to fill a tag. A lot of large public properties have miles of access or two tracks meandering through them, and sometimes they are open to motorized equipment. I have a friend and prostaffer who uses a mountain bike for just such occurences, with great success, and I have obtained one for just that purpose. You would be suprised just how well you can outfit a bike, for turkey hunting.
   Safety is always the #1 factor that should be on any hunters mind when afield, and if someone isn't in good physical shape, that could be a reason they are using a truck to cover acerage, also I believe one should always carry the cell phone, in every hunting situation.
   I'm going to let some of the others chime in on the safety aspect of turkey hunting, especially on public ground,as thhere are many other aspects to be considered. Hope this has been of some value to you Axel and good luck!

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, and STAY SAFE!
                                                                                                       L.K.LESLIE 

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » August 13th, 2008, 4:10 am

"Hunting" from a vehicle--as in shooting from inside or over the hood is illegal.  If I ever happen to see someone do it, my first response would be to report it.  I'm not inplying that those guys were doing that, though.  I have heard that some hunters will drive around on logging roads smacking a box call, like HH mentioned, trying to locate toms. 

I hunt public land and everytime I run across other hunters I try to find out where they plan on hunting.  Deer hunters are less mobile than turkey hunters, but at least you can get an idea of the area they are going to hunt. 

As far as safety issues go, use your head.  Here's a post from a while ago:
http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=243

Doc

Axelwood

Postby Axelwood » August 13th, 2008, 6:14 pm

Thanks for the replies.   What you said about about "physical shape" makes a lot of sense.  We had walked in early and we encountered the trucks on the way out (I believe in walking -- it is part of the fun)  

I was just surprised that the hunters we encounterred at 9 AM were just sitting in trucks....

Thanks for the safety tips.  I have most items in my first aid kit, but I will add a couple more after reading your article.  I am not new to gun safety and camping ... etc... just hunting.   My parents never hunted... we just shot cans and clay pigeons...

My wife will kill me, but I like the idea of the armored turkey carrier aka the turkey mountain bike... That is a good idea.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » August 14th, 2008, 8:52 am

he who walks the most shoots the most (or rides)just remember safety first no doubt ,there is nothin wrong with public land especialy for turkey huntin i have over 2000 acres of private land in tn all to my lonesome but i still hunt public land every spring just this last spring i took 2 birds from public land & to me it makes you a more accomplished hunter when you take a bird from public ground you have taken one that is hunted hard & constant one thing i do on public ground sometimes is take an extra orange hat with me i wear it when walkin & lay it behind the tree i lean against in my set up so if someone comes in behind me they will see the hat & know some one is already on that ol bird

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » August 14th, 2008, 9:16 am

oh yeah if you decide to be a bikin' bird killer dont ride with your gun loaded !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » August 15th, 2008, 3:19 am

I always carry an extra orange hat with me.  a few years ago during deer season on public land, I gave it to some clown that was stomping around the woods with no orange on at all.  He was wearing a brown carhart jacket!!!!!!!  I gave him the hat and told him we was an idiot for not having more on.  You just can't fix stupid.

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » August 20th, 2008, 4:05 pm

I have been scouting and getting my equipment in & out of the wood via mountian bike for 10 years.
I use that along with a trailer to haul my double bull, bow, video camera, and my decoy, Anna Nichole.
Yes I bought a Hazel Creek decoy with my "fun money" last year.

You need to check the regulations in your state or area, I was given a warning at Navarino Public Hunting Grounds. A bike is considered the same a ATV so I packed my stuff and never came back even though it's 45 minuets from home & loaded with birds.  
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Return to Strategies