Thank You!

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Thank You!

Postby allaboutshooting » April 12th, 2008, 2:31 pm

I just want to be one of the first to say "Thank You!" for a great new way to communicate with fellow hunters and shooters. I've really enjoyed the "old" site and look forward to being a part of this new one.

Thanks again,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Magnumdude

RE: Thank You!

Postby Magnumdude » April 12th, 2008, 6:11 pm

Clark,

How'd you do the first season in IL?

allaboutshooting

RE: Thank You!

Postby allaboutshooting » April 12th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Hey Ralph,

I hunted last Monday and Tuesday but I wasn't able to get back into the woods until a little after 10:00 on Friday. That left me a couple of hours to hunt. As you know it was very windy, so I just went down a draw into a valley, found a tree, sat and called, just hoping that a bird would be able to hear me. I'd call every 10 minutes or so.

I heard what I thought was a hen to my north and started to mimick her. She answered me. About that time, I caught some movement out of the corner of my left eye. Then I saw a red head and a big black body. It was a gobbler and he was looking for a hen. I waited until he stepped behind a tree, then I moved into position and when he came around the other side, I shot him. He went down hard. When I looked at my watch, it was 11:07. That's cutting it way too close!

I used the 3" Winchester Super X3 Composite with the 28" barrel and the SSX turkey choke. I don't think I've ever seen a turkey hit so hard. I stepped it off and it was 43 steps. When I cleaned him, there was not one shot anywhere except in his head and neck.

He had a 9.25" beard, 1.25" spurs and weighed 21 lbs. according to our scales. Not a bad bird.

How did the rest of your season go?

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Shooting