Spring in January

charlie elk

Spring in January

Postby charlie elk » January 11th, 2012, 9:55 am

What's not to like about this weather? Except when winter does hit later, most of us probably will not be psychologically ready to deal with it with spring on the brain.
1/8 & 9 I was out with the boat on the rivers checking up on things.
1/10 at sunrise heard the first gobble of 2012, this is the earliest ever. The high temp for the day was 59!
You have to enjoy it now because the averages always seem to work out in the end.

Anyone else taking advantage of nice days and getting out to see what is going on in your neck of the woods?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

turkey junky

Re: Spring in January

Postby turkey junky » January 11th, 2012, 3:31 pm

its a touch early for me to go out & mess with the turkeys charlie maybe come march ill join you??? have seen a few groups of gobblers around my home but they are allways around this urban type area... anyway sent you another PM charlie check it out it you get the chance??? when i log in then go to forum thats the only way i know i have PM
when that little green banner comes up after i log in...

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » January 13th, 2012, 1:14 pm

I have been tinkering with my ice fishing gear. With the weather that rolled in yesterday it looks like I may get to use it this year. I will start scouting in March.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 13th, 2012, 7:03 pm

seen about 60 birds today near my place a bunch of toms they have had a ez winter this yr

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » January 15th, 2012, 3:05 am

On Thursday the weather here turned ugly. It went from being in the mid 50's to about low 30's for a high. It started to rain then it changed to snow and the wind was blowing 30 mph. Well unfortunately, I had to drive down to TN to get some things for my wife. I decided I would just drive by one of my hunting spots and see if I could see anything since it was on the way. I didnt see anything but when I looked on the other side of the road I saw about 10 gobblers in full strut ?????????

Now I could understand the gobblers being in full strut while the weather was in the 50's and 60's and being a beautifull day but how nasty the day was I wouldnt have thought they would be doing it. Now it has me thinking on why was they strutting besides trying to see who is bigger. Is it possible, the reason why is to keep their feathers from sticking together from the rain since the temp was in the low 30's and dropping? Then again, if that was the case then they would go to sleep in full strut on cold rainy nights.... But more than likely its just turkeys being turkeys I guess.

It took me a couple of hours before I was able to come back through. I thought they would be gone but sure enough they were still there in full strut.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » January 15th, 2012, 9:10 am

i've seen that here as well Kygobbler. toms out struting in bad weather in Jan and Feb most of the day . why they do it i have no a clue but it's sure helps past the time till spring season ...wayne

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 16th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Strutting toms outside of spring mating is not uncommon. During the fall they frequently strut as the gobbler flocks are forming and flocks continue mixing and reforming well into late winter. This strutting seems to be their way of establishing pecking order.
Get a set of toms gobbling and strutting with pulsating heads on their way to your call with a brilliant colored fall background and you too will be fall turkey hooked. :D
later,
charlie

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 18th, 2012, 12:36 am

We see that up here in the cold snowy windy days, it helps them stay warmer and also helps them dry out their feathers and bodies off since they can't dust themselves in the snow. Their body temps stay warmer when their body feathers are puffed up then when they are layed down tight agaist their bodies, two inches of insulation is warmer than a half inch.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 22nd, 2012, 1:33 pm

Willow,
What you say about puffing up the feathers to stay warmer, drier and to dry is right on.
I have not seen gobblers go into full strut in order to stay warm around my area of WI. While in full strut they can't eat or walk around all that well. I interpret the full strutting outside of mating as an act of aggression, show of strength to other toms. Normally they are not with any hens at this time of year nor are there any hens or poults in the vicinity.
You have me curious that I might have missed something I will pay more attention to details of the off season strutting activities.
later,
charlie

Return to Wisconsin