How to approach first day as a rookie

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gooseberry

How to approach first day as a rookie

Postby gooseberry » April 15th, 2008, 5:41 am

I don't know if these questions can be answered. Everyday on my drive through the mountains on my way to and from work I see a lot of nature. I've been seeing these turkeys just about once each week in the same general area. Having never hunted before is there a way I can approach these birds? I guess what I'm asking is, what call would I need, tactics, etc. just to get a remote shot at a turkey. I have all the camo clothes and I thought I'd borrow a 12 gauge since the largest I have is a 16. Anybody experienced out there that wants to take a shot at this? I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks

Fan Club

RE: How to approach first day as a rookie

Postby Fan Club » April 15th, 2008, 6:14 am

I'll give this a shot...

Some more specifics are needed if you want to go after the exact birds you mentioned. First and foremost do you have permission to hunt there? If so...

What time is your commute when you see the birds? If it is shortly after daylight, it is likely a staging area after flydown and the flock will head elsewhere to feed. If it is mid morning, (2 hours after daylight or more) it could be a feeding or loafing area or a strut zone in which case the birds might hang around long enough for you to try and approach them.

Let me say off the top that sneaking up on turkeys is extremely difficult, bordering on the impossible depending on available topography and cover. If even one bird spots you move, even from 600 yards away, the game is over and they'll disappear. Because this is such a low percentage tactic, most turkey hunters prefer and use other methods.

1. Locate the roost area, set up near it undetected in the predawn darkness and wait for the birds to fly down.

2. Set up near known strut zones and feeding areas after daylight and wait for the birds to appear.

3. Set up where you have cover and blind call trying to attract turkeys to your location.

If you manage to belly crawl, slosh through creek bottoms and use every piece of available cover to close the distance on your birds without being detected, you can then try to call them into gun range.

That's the nutshell version. Give some though to your options and the birds you have in mind. The 12 gauge w/ an extra full choke and off the shelf turkey loads will be fine. Any camo will work as long as the turkeys don't see you move. You will need a camo face mask, gloves and a non glare finish on your gun. It is imperative that you are totally camoflaged. Some basic calling skills will certainly help, the cluck, yelp, purr and cutt should do. Good luck.

Jeff

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » April 15th, 2008, 6:32 am

Thanks, Fanclub: I plan on getting permission shortly. I see the birds early in the morning, between 7 - 7:30 AM on the edge of the woods in some fields. Other days I see them in the morning about 500 yards down the road in another area. I see them in the morning and evening in the same general areas. One morning I saw them in a pasture hanging around with the cows. I couldn't believe it. If I would have had my camera with I would of had a great shot. There are several pastures bordered by sections of woods in a few areas along that stretch of road. Is there a general type call you would recommend I buy? I realize this is a difficult thing for you to help with through a couple internet posts. Thanks for the info. It will sure help.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » April 15th, 2008, 1:33 pm

If you could only have one call as a beginner, I would recommend a "push pin" call as pictured below. They are easy to use, require little movement, will make all basic calls and you can control the volume fairly well. The box call is the oldest and most widely used call, but they are fairly loud for all purpose calling and present problems when it rains.

You should also get a simple 2 reed mouth call. The entire turkey's vocabulary can be difficult to master on a mouth call, but for now you only need to learn a simple cluck. This is to get a gobbler to stick his head up for your shot when he is in full strut and it does not require the use of your hands, allowing you to keep them on your shotgun.

Lastly, a crow call is handy to try and locate turkeys by getting them to shock gobble in the daytime. They are inexpensive and easy to use. I have pictured a Knight & Hale call because you should be able to find it fairly easily at your local WalMart, Gander Mountain, Dick's or Dunham's sporting goods.

Jeff

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » April 15th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Thanks for the help Fan Club. I realize I asked an impossible question on a very large topic, one you continue to learn every day of yur life. I'll let you know how I make out. Our Season opens here in PA the last weekend of this month or the first weekend in May.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 15th, 2008, 4:08 pm

It looks like you have their roost area pinpointed, they are there in the morning and evening. You could probably set up cose to that spot and be alright with just a couple soft yelps and have yourself an exciting hunt.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » April 16th, 2008, 4:14 am

Thanks guys: I'm going to stop and ask for permission to hunt the land on the way home from work today. I'm going to give it a shot. At the very least I'll have a morning in the woods.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 16th, 2008, 8:06 am

Make sure you know what the gun you are using is capable of before you intend to hunt with it.  You don't want to take all the time and effort to figure out a good place to set up on these birds only to miss because you weren't familiar with how (or where) that borrowed shotgun patterned best with Turkey loads.  A few shots at blank paper is all it will take to figure out the ideal place to hold on the bird. Targets and shells are cheap compared to how costly a miss or a bad shot can be.

Good hunting. Please post you picture here when you score.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion