Almost in the Afternoon

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Dank

Almost in the Afternoon

Postby Dank » April 22nd, 2008, 9:06 am

Well i tried my hand at an afternoon hunt last wednesday and let me say i will be going back in the afternoon. I got to my first set up at about 4 and set up for about 45 minutes didnt see or hear anything so i moved to a field where toms like to strut at the top where the field plateaus. so, i slipped into the bottom of the field and while i was getting ready spotted a tukey at the top for just a second. well i called once or twice on my slate and got no response. so i started calling back and forth on a mouth call and the slate and had just looked to my left and when i looked back to the top of the field he was blown up strutting on the top of the rise. he was about three hundred yards away and it took him about 2 hours and 15 minutes to cover that distance strutting and gobbling the whole way. well, he makes it to about 60 yards (so close yet so far) and starts feeding, while at the same time i can hear a group of hens roosting behind me, and he ends up flying up and roosting about 50 yards behind me which would have been great had i been able to go the next morning. anyway, i had a great time and will definately be going in the afternoon again.
Failure is often our best teacher.

STEROIDCHICKEN

RE: Almost in the Afternoon

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 23rd, 2008, 8:27 am

howdy dank, afternoons are great hunting times...i have probably taken more birds in the afternoon than i have in the mornings...i will have to say that the mornings are great too..watching and listening to the woods wake up and the old tom gobbling to annouce his presence. here in georgia, we get alot of gobbling in the evening hours as well. most of my evening birds are killed around 4:00 eastern time.good luck.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion