After the Kill, What next??

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
shadow

After the Kill, What next??

Postby shadow » April 27th, 2008, 2:42 pm

I am new to turkey hunting, the season opens here in a couple weeks and if I should be fortunate enough to get one,(it'll be my second), what are the next steps after the kill?  I had seen on a show a pheasant being hung outside and "aged" for a day or so and then the host (Ted Nugent) peeling the skin and feathers off the bird, and then just cutting off the legs and breasts. This seems easy, not plucking the bird, but can it be done with a Turkey? Should it be done? What are your thoughts on the ways you clean and whether you peel or pluck. I couln't find any answers in any recent magazine article or in this forum. Thanks

shadow

RE: After the Kill, What next??

Postby shadow » April 27th, 2008, 3:08 pm

Wow!  I spoke to soon... I found what I was looking for on this site!

"How to Dress and Cook a Turkey"
February 25, 2008
by  Lovett E. Williams Jr., Contributing Editor,  found in News and features section and under "after the hunt". It gave me pretty much everything I was looking for, now just need some new broadheads and hope the turkeys stick around out there a few more weeks.

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 27th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Whats next?  Turkey nuggets! LOL!!!!
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 28th, 2008, 6:02 am

I just breast them out after I cut off the trophy parts.  I know some people that get the drumsticks and thighs, but for me, on a wild turkey, there's too much sinew and tendons to make them worthwhile.

Dank

Postby Dank » April 28th, 2008, 6:52 am

Cut out those breasts wash them off, fire up the frier and enjoy. I don't know about ya'll but I think they are so much better if you eat them fresh rather than freeze them for later. I can taste them now!!!
Failure is often our best teacher.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion