Buying my tag online...

perrysbirds

Buying my tag online...

Postby perrysbirds » January 14th, 2012, 6:29 pm

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if someone can tell me if the spring turkey tags can be got now on the South Dakota game and fish website?
I am hunting in Wyoming and apparently I am very close to the South Dakota border...about a 20 mins drive I was told...And near a town called "Sturgis"...
I want to buy a tag for South Dakota and can anyone confirm that there is lots of National Forest near the Wyoming and South Dakota border in Sturgis?
I have entered the draw for my Wyoming tag and its just a general tag and I was told I will get it..
Now how do I apply or get a tag for South Dakota?Is Sturgis a hunt area?
Do I just apply online for a general Tag?
Not sure how the south Dakota one works...any help would be great..I know Im apllying for a non-resident tag..
Thanks Perry

eggshell

Re: Buying my tag online...

Postby eggshell » January 14th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Yes there is, Black Hills National forest is just south and west of Sturgis. I used to know people in Spearfish and there was good turkey hunting south of there. Just search online for South Dakota's wildlife agency.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 14th, 2012, 11:19 pm

You can apply now for a Black Hills tag or later. They are an OTC tag but you must get it from the SD game & fish. You can't buy them at a store. I doubt you get your tag anytime soon if you apply now though. In the past they never sent them out until after the first draw deadline, which is Feb 17 this year.

You do want to get a tag with at least 2 weeks to spare. I have bought BH tags and it has taken all of 2 weeks for them to get me my tag.

Here is a link.

http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/big-game/turk ... urkey.aspx
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 18th, 2012, 11:37 pm

i was told there are no more over the counter tags in the black hills??? you have to apply like treerooster said & then get ur tag from the SD game and fish... but i was told that u can not buy any tag OTC counter in SD any longer as of last year!!!???

also the black hills is in the middle of a study due to down turkey numbers in the BH
region??? they are above the 20 year average in the BH region but they say on-line that the BH is a good spot with healthy populations of turkeys so who to beleave!!!???

just go on the SD game and fish web site & mess around man you will find the info you need also get some phone numbers & call up the game and fish folks they will help more then u think... its there job man..

you do know that sturgis is the same sturgis wear thw have the huge biker rally write man???? look it up on-line...

perrysbirds

Postby perrysbirds » January 19th, 2012, 7:50 am

Thanks everyone I had to call the Sd game and fish but I didnt manage to put in for a black hills tag...The reason I couldnt figure it out online is because Im a non-resident from canada and they had to give me a security number...so they did that and i went online and did what i had to do...
How is the weather down in that area...Hopefully there isnt much snow in April...

Thanks Perry

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 19th, 2012, 11:03 am

turkey junky wrote:i was told there are no more over the counter tags in the black hills??? you have to apply like treerooster said & then get ur tag from the SD game and fish... but i was told that u can not buy any tag OTC counter in SD any longer as of last year!!!???

This is misleading and not true. I just looked at the 2012 application.

The BH tags are OTC. There is no limit to them and there is no daedline to apply for them. You do have to get them from the SD game & fish but that is the way it has been for many years. You get the tag either by appling online, through the mail, or you have to go to the office in Pierre SD.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 19th, 2012, 8:29 pm

This is misleading and not true. I just looked at the 2012 application.

The BH tags are OTC. There is no limit to them and there is no daedline to apply for them. You do have to get them from the SD game & fish but that is the way it has been for many years. You get the tag either by appling online, through the mail, or you have to go to the office in Pierre SD

TREEROOSTER was not trying to be missleading or lie to perrysbirds i was going to hunt SD in 2007 & sent in for the packs they send with info & apps & didnt get them in time for the draw even thow i sent in for them 2 month b4 hand & did so twice... i then called last yr & talked to a women & tried to get a public land atlas for the spring & they said they didnt have any left & to go on-line & print 1 & that this yr there was changes to the draw system wear you had to APPLY B4 you went & baught or had them mail in your tag??? i asked the lady flat out so i cant just go buy a tag OTC any wear in the state of SD she said NO its ALL DONE ON-LINE THREW A DRAW? so thats wear i was comeing from & happy to see the old lady at the office that day was just miss understanding me so how with that simple question of CAN I BUT A TAG OTC IN THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA? & she says NO??? how treerooster says you can go buy a tag at the SD FAME & FISH? is that in pierre SD??? if so thats not verry EZ tag to buy OTC if you have to go to pierre SD to obtain it? or go on-line? threw mail? they said there was no deadline just as long as it takes to mail you your tag? & the bag limit was/will allways be 1 bird in the black hills... happy to have treerooster here to help steer me the write way the SD game & fish didnt help a lick just added to the mess

perrysbirds

Postby perrysbirds » January 20th, 2012, 7:36 am

All I know guys is that I called the Sd game and fish and because I was canadian I had to get a social security number.. to apply online for the tag because it would not let me buy the tag without this number....The lady put the number in for me and then I was able to go online and purchase a tag for the spring turkey hunt in the black hills...I had to print off my receipt...Any idea when I will receive this tag?
For me its quite a bit of work to come to the states to hunt....I have to fill out what we call ATF forms(gun registration numbers and serial numbers) and send into customs along with the turkey receipt...then I have to wait back for the approval from customs..Normally it takes about 6 weeks...
Thankfully I have a gentleman in my area that hunts in the states every year and he was able to help me out...

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » January 20th, 2012, 9:17 am

TJ, I wrote that post in a hurry and after reading it again it sounds a bit harsh. My apologies.

But it just goes to show you that you can't believe everything they tell you from a game & fish office. Especially the receptionist/phone operators. I always look over the printed regulations of a state I intend to hunt. It not only keeps me from doing something wrong, I also find some opportunities that I didn't know exsisted. If I don't understan a reg I try to talk to somebody that knows something (biologist or warden)about turkey hunting, Most times, at some point in the conversation, I even ask the person if they turkey hunt.

Last year I was talking to a gal in MT about region 7 and asked if I could get 2 tags there. She said no, and explained that because the turkey population was down in region 7 they just reduced the limit to 1 tag . Got the regs and saw I COULD get 2 tags...called the warden in that area and asked him to make sure...and I killed 2 birds there last year.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » January 20th, 2012, 2:30 pm

no biggie treerooster was just let you all know i wasnt being a jerk & trying to miss lead anybody into not hunting SD... yes i do also try to talk to local biologist & or a warden in the area if they dont have local biologist but the wardens seem to allways be in a hurry & never really give u any areas that hold birds they say just cover ground theres birds every wear??? or they give you the same generic info they have give n tons of other newbie hunters to there area that wont know any better... gar hole???

yes i have been to MT region 7 also & lack of turkeys & harsh spring winter weather kept me away i love the west but hate that goofy ass weather!!!! 1 day 75 next day 8 inches of snow the next day 75 again!!! it was beautiful country just void of turkey wear we the 2 biologist i talked to & the guy i baught my tag from all said i was crazy to be out there hunting all the birds were gone??? looking into the area after the hunt it was true but there were birds in other areas they just were not up in the MTNS with us at that time so... i will be heading back to MT this spring to try & redeem my self...

Next

Return to South Dakota