0 for 1

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
jpb

0 for 1

Postby jpb » April 28th, 2008, 8:13 am

Well i started my season today.No rain until i was leaving the woods,the leaves are so dry im glad its raining now tomorrow should be a quietier walk in.I set up in what i thought was a good spot by 4;30 and just waited.5 o'clock or so i hear a roosed Tom some 80 yards away.I hear him sound off every 10min or so untill he fly's down.I think im in business and give a few soft calls and he cuts me off everytime.Im thinking less is more so i put the call down and wait.Not much later i see and hear the Tom.
As im watching him get closer im thinking to myself this may actually work.My first hunt,on opening morning and i have an honest to goodness Tom walikng toward me.Thats when the day went south.I was hoping the tom was going to hold his course and walk into a clear shot.But NOO he has to hang a left an walk behind a large rock and thick brush. I call again and he stops,sounds off agan then in full strut turns back the way he came.Ok this could work,once he clears the rock and the large tree he's going for a jeep ride.Well he clears the rock steps behind the tree an never came out the other side.
After waiting a short time i call again and heard Mr Houdini laughing back at me.He had to be a good 70yard pluss away.That was the last i saw or heard from him.
Before i left i paced the rock and tree at 32 steps.I think i will set up near the rock and tree in the morning.If i had set up there in the first place today may have ended differently.So i didnt get my bird this mornin but i will never forget hearing Mr Houdini spitn n drumin.I swear i could actually hear my own heart beating in my ears.
Thanks for reading,
Joe

Dank

RE: 0 for 1

Postby Dank » April 28th, 2008, 8:30 am

ORIGINAL: jpb

Well he clears the rock steps behind the tree an never came out the other side.After waiting a short time i call again and heard Mr Houdini laughing back at me.

Sometimes it really is like their magic isn't it. Anyway, sounds like it was exciting and that's what its all about: The Experience. Good luck in your next attempt.
Failure is often our best teacher.

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 28th, 2008, 9:46 am

I can think of a lot worse hunts that I've been on than the one you had.  That sounded exciting!!
Hopefully he'll roost in the same area tomorrow, but I wouldn't count on it.  If you can move more quietly tomorrow morning, move to the gobble and quickly. 
Also, it sounds as if you were hunting fairly open woods.  You might consider bringing a decoy along and putting it out for your initial set up.  If he had seen a "hen" this morning, he might have strutted on in.
Good luck!

jpb

Postby jpb » April 28th, 2008, 11:39 am

Rut...The sad thing is that i had a hen in my vest.I was just afraid to move to set her up when heard the Tom on the roost.I didnt want to get too close and spook the bird..She's getting set up first thing in the morning thats for sure.
Joe

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » April 28th, 2008, 1:19 pm

jpb.. Sounds like you had fun..Him walking off is what makes you want to go back tommorrow. If you luck is like mine you'll sit up at the rock in the morning and he'll come in from behind ya..But that's my kind of luck..I hope you get your payback tommorrow...Good luck..

Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

jpb

Postby jpb » April 29th, 2008, 6:20 am

Well i can make the count 0 for 2 now.Man did it rain hard this morning.I should have slept in but then i would have been kicking myself for not getting out.I set up on the magic vanishing tree and waited for first light.Not one gobble.I stayed there for over an houre after first light then moved to the open field.I set my hen dec in the field,took a step into the woods and settled in.All the calling and begging I did didnt change a thing.It could have been rainging to hard but who knows.The birds have to go somewhere when it rains.I just wish i knew where that some where is.So for now Joe-0,Turkeys-2.That may change tomorrow.
Joe

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » April 30th, 2008, 5:29 am

Hey Joe,

Isn't it fun trying to figure out a gobbler? Just when you think you know what he's going to do...he does a "vanishing act".

Several years ago I hunted the Mark Twain National forest with an older turkey hunter. He had a theory about the "the bubble" as he called it. He said that if a turkey felt comfortable in an area (the bubble) he'd be much more willing to come back to it. Whenever a turkey did that "Houdini", he wait until he thought he was really out of the area and then move to the last place he saw him. He'd settle in and call on a regular basis. Many times, the old gobbler would make his way back to his "bubble" and he'd shoot him.

I've tried that over the years and many times with the same success. It doesn't work all the time of course but I've come to believe that it's better than tramping through the woods trying to locate another bird.

I think I'd go sit by that rock.

Good luck and let us know when you get him.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Dank

Postby Dank » April 30th, 2008, 7:16 am

ORIGINAL: allaboutshooting

Isn't it fun trying to figure out a gobbler?

My favorite part. It's all about the game!!!
Failure is often our best teacher.

jpb

Postby jpb » April 30th, 2008, 7:43 am

I like the Bubble theory Clark.No luck yesterday in the rain.Today was a clear dry day.I did sit along side the rock but maby not long enough.Ill be back at it again tmw.Maby i should stay there until i grow as much moss as that old rock....Wich brings me to a new question. Generally how long do you stay set up in one area waiting for something to happen?I have been trying for an houre min to and houre and a half.If nothing's happening i slowly move to another of my spots.
Joe

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion