What cha got?

GearJammer

What cha got?

Postby GearJammer » May 1st, 2008, 5:01 am

Hey Gobblerman! I just thought I would jump into your state forum to say howdy. Have you filled your tag yet? I have been around a bunch of Merriams here in SW Colorado but they seem extremely spooked. I can call them in to about 50 yards but they seem to keep hanging up just out of range. I don't have much time left!!!  LOL. Talk to you soon. [:)] 
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

Gobblerman

RE: What cha got?

Postby Gobblerman » May 1st, 2008, 12:33 pm

GearJammer, good to hear from you!  I was wondering how things had worked out for you up there in snowy Colorado.  It has been a tough season down here in southern NM so far.  We've got lots of birds, but there are so many hens here that the gobblers are just staying with them and staying pretty quiet during the day.  Our birds have been gobbling well on the roost but it's been hard to drag a gobble out of a bird on the ground all season long.  I did manage to take a nice gobbler early on....and have one more to go.  Unfortunately, the Forest Service has closed the NF as of May 1 because of the extreme fire danger down here, so I will be looking for another place to hunt for the remainder of the NM season. 

I'm glad to hear that you have found birds to hunt up your way.  Keep after them, if you still have time to hunt,...they may change their attitudes about approaching your calls as the season progresses. I don't know if I can give you any good advice, but if you need some input on hunting your birds, just let me know.  Let us know how you do.  Good luck!

Jim

Return to New Mexico