DNR Land at Dover & Burnett Rds., NW Spokane County

dluders

DNR Land at Dover & Burnett Rds., NW Spokane County

Postby dluders » May 10th, 2008, 8:02 am

On Friday afternoon, May 9th, 3:30-5PM, I scouted the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) land parcel that's accessed from the corner of Dover Rd. and Burnett Road in northwest Spokane County.  Over the course of 1-1/2 hours, I slowly walked the central jeep trail and saw a total of 5 turkeys.  One of them flew off to the south, and the other four were feeding on an open knoll in the north/central property boundary.  They never spotted me.  All of them were VERY quiet.  I heard gobbling to the north on private land.

Since I was only SCOUTING the area (and not prepared to hunt), I gave my map and info to 3 turkey hunters that arrived there at 5 PM.  They had bagged a tom in the Coulee Creek valley just south of the DNR land earlier that morning.

When I was driving away along Burnett Road, I saw the SAME turkeys in the edge of a private farmer's field.  Two toms were strutting to 4 hens, right at the border where the field meets the timber.  Perhaps the hunters were able to call them back into the forest (and back onto DNR land) to harvest them....

Return to Washington