need help....frustrating birds..

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
beardbandit00jr

need help....frustrating birds..

Postby beardbandit00jr » May 19th, 2008, 5:00 pm

ok heres the scoop. been hunting this area for quite a few days. its hardwoods, with some pines, which i know is where the birds are usually roosting. the woods are bordered by cut corn and soybean. 2 days straight i have been able to get gobblers going. doesnt matter what time of day, first thing in the morning, or right around 10am. usually ill get a couple of hens going too. the hens come across this creek, which is the border line for the property i hunt. only problem im having is that the birds usually end up getting stuck about 50-60yards on the OTHER side of the creek. seems they are getting hung up in the thick stuff. i have yet to see a bird other than hens coming to my calls, but the gobblers never appear. the other morning i had at least 3-5 gobblers going, with zero results. they were going for a good 2 hours, back an forth between me and them. i cant hunt on the other side of this creek, and they seem to enjoy staying there. how can i get them to come over to my side? ive tried aggressive calling,soft calling, no calling, decoys, no decoys. im using 3 different frictions, the Power crystal, Knight and hales hen house, and a deuce. along with that im using the many beards mouth call, and Sceery outdoors decoys, usually a feeding or resting hen, and a jake. but for some reason the hens will come, but the gobblers wont. they actually walk up an down the creek gobbling, but wont come into sight. any tips? im gonna get one, but i think its time i asked for maybe some strategy help. thanks alot!

STEROIDCHICKEN

RE: need help....frustrating birds..

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 20th, 2008, 3:00 am

howdy beardbandit00jr.,
try using a gobble call...since the hens are coming onto your side, maybe you can convince the longbeards that another tom is there taking care of business. it is my last resort call, but i have used it with success. just note, other hunters nearby may hear it and that will cause some trouble and safety precautions on your part. be careful....and good luck.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

JPH

Postby JPH » May 20th, 2008, 3:22 am

Sounds like they are henned-up and hung-up. Tough situation but common to us all. Your profile does not say where you are, so I don't know how much time you have left. Assuming that you've got a week or so- 

My first bit of advice would be to beg for permission to hunt on the other side of the creek, or get right up on the edge. But I'd guess you've already thought of that.

My second bit of advice would be to hunt late in the day. Those hens may go to their nests by lunch time an those gobblers might just get lonely.

Lastly, I would give the situation time. As the month of May moves on, those hens will be less and less intreasted in making the toms happy. Once that happens, one of those big boys might just break the stalemate.

Let us know how it comes out.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 20th, 2008, 5:05 am

Another last resort/crazy idea is kee-kee whistle, predominately used in the fall.

Had a tom gobble over 200 times from adjoining properties a couple days ago. After two hours, I used the whistle and he came to within 80-90 yards. We got busted, but it worked when nothing else would.

JB
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

JPH

Postby JPH » May 20th, 2008, 6:25 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Another last resort/crazy idea is kee-kee whistle, predominately used in the fall.

I like it!

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » May 20th, 2008, 12:38 pm

I had the same thing happen to me on my last bird. Four trips after this bird and he woould gobble until MY head hurt, but would not come in. Sat I got within 100 yards without saying a word. After he gobbled about eight or so times I hit him with my ol' gobbler tube. This bird had all the other birds in the area scared to open their mouth until but with good reason. I only gobbled once every 10-15 minutes. Doing this drove the big bird crazy but got another bird to make the mistake of opening his mouth and making the BIG mistake of comming in the area. I got to see the bigger tom come around the hill and put a whipp-en on the other one. As soon as he sent his little buddy packing around the hill I gobbled one more time and big boy came straight in looking for another fight.   He lost .

beardbandit00jr

Postby beardbandit00jr » May 20th, 2008, 1:58 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Sounds like they are henned-up and hung-up. Tough situation but common to us all. Your profile does not say where you are, so I don't know how much time you have left. Assuming that you've got a week or so- 

My first bit of advice would be to beg for permission to hunt on the other side of the creek, or get right up on the edge. But I'd guess you've already thought of that.

My second bit of advice would be to hunt late in the day. Those hens may go to their nests by lunch time an those gobblers might just get lonely.

Lastly, I would give the situation time. As the month of May moves on, those hens will be less and less intreasted in making the toms happy. Once that happens, one of those big boys might just break the stalemate.

Let us know how it comes out.

im in upstate ny. i have until the end of may. i can only hunt til noon, and the only problem is they roost on MY side of the creek, but fly down on the other side.
ive done a lil research, and im gonna try a few things.
1. get him gobbling, then stop, see if he gets curious.
2. move away from him, or up or down the creek, not being stationary, try to act like a real turkey.
3. throw a grenade over in the thick stuff.....lol [:D]

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » May 20th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Where in Upstate NY?

This is just a LONGSHOT, but I've kinda done the same thing with a barbed wire fence and deer:  Make them a place to cross.  I don't think it would be illegal or even unsortsmanlike if you simply provided them with a way to cross the creek (if possible).  Hunters will alter a fence line to get deer to cross at a certain spot, why not build a tom a bridge?  Again...longshot, but who knows, it might work, might not.  I wouldn't be sitting at the end of the bridge, but at least try to get them on your side.  Am I just crazy?

Doc

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 21st, 2008, 3:05 am

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Return to Strategies