turkey doggin'

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
trkyklr

turkey doggin'

Postby trkyklr » July 10th, 2008, 9:24 am

i love to hunt turkeys in the fall well hen turkeys & i love to watch a dog work & i had a red heeler pup ('bout 6 mnths old) show up @ my house i was kinda wonderin' if the heeler would/could make a good turkey dog & how one would go about training it

grunt_doc

RE: turkey doggin'

Postby grunt_doc » July 11th, 2008, 5:57 am

Heelers are really smart herding dogs, so I gues that with the right training, they could do very well.  I would try to find someone who has experience with other herding dogs (Border Collies, ect) and see what they think. 

Years ago my wife and I had a Blue Heeler puppy for a short while until she was "puppy-napped" on Christmas Eve when I was stationed in TX. We'll get another when we finally have enough room for it! 

Doc

Morgan

Postby Morgan » July 24th, 2008, 1:38 am

You could start working it with a turkey wing....put it the wing on a fishing pole and let it chase after it and get the dog birdy....then start with some drags...turkey fans have the most scent and let it start scent trailing....I have a Boytel I have been working with since he was 8 weeks old...he was 5 months yesterday....he is gonna make it....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 24th, 2008, 4:11 am

welp i recon ill have 2 find me another dog the owner of the heeler showed up lookin 4 the dog & now all i have is my boxer but he does get tore up when i bring a bird home & he has eatin 5 of my beards & 2 fans #%*&^% dumb *#! dog !

Return to Fall Hunting