Favorite Camo Preference..???

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
GearJammer

Favorite Camo Preference..???

Postby GearJammer » August 24th, 2008, 6:11 am

Hey guys and gals. I have been looking for a good pair of slip-on boots that have the RealTree AP camo and possibly snake guards. This seems to be a difficult task because I can find boots I like but are not available in RealTree. There seem to be many more options for the Mossy Oak, which is a good camo, but I prefer the RealTree.
 So anyway...it got me thinking. What seems to be the most popular, and what is your favorite? Why? I will start this off by saying that, I prefer the RealTree AP because it seems to blend with many brushy, wooded environments where I am. So what do you pick? RealTree, MossyOak, MothWing, or others. Thanks for the input!
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

grizzly

RE: Favorite Camo Preference..???

Postby grizzly » August 24th, 2008, 12:15 pm

both i wear mossy-oak in late spring early fall and real-tree in early spring late fall the open pattern works good when the leaves are off . mossy oak seems to work when every thing greened back up.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 24th, 2008, 2:23 pm

I pretty much mix and match designs depending upon how the woods looks, with more green as the spring develops and more browns in the fall. I use some mixture of True Leaf, Realtree and Mossy Oak. I also have a ghillie suit with a woodlands camo theme that works very well.

Since I hunt a lot of areas that are "snake prone", I  wear Rocky snake boots in a Realtree pattern.

At the end of the season, or when ever it's needed, I turn all my camo "inside out" and  wash it in cold water with baking soda. That can really add life to your camo and preserve the designs.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » August 27th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Good tips on the laundering of Camo, Clark...thanks!!
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » August 27th, 2008, 1:41 pm

That does sound like a good tip, and we would probably all do well to heed that advice.  It is amazing how washing your camo a few times will just leach the colors right out of it.  I'm generally too lazy to go to a lot of trouble in washing my stuff other than by just throwing it into the hopper with everything else.  Those that buy really expensive camo clothing (I don't) should take note of that tip.  As for me, I've got a whole closet full of faded $10 tee shirts and $20 six-pocket pants in assorted patterns.  I just grab whatever I think will best suit the habitat I'm headed into on any particular outing.
Jim

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » August 28th, 2008, 11:37 am

mossy oak obsession ,

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » August 28th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I prefer Mossy Oak Obsession in the spring and early fall, and will go to the Mossy Oak Break-up pattern as the fall progresses. I have also found that Mossy Oak is quite a conservation minded company, and is quite divesified in the hunting industry with other products such as Biologic seed. I also enjoy going to their website, mossyoak.com, and taking advantage of the free online tools such as mapping,and the hunting journal that each individual has availible to himself. Also, did I mention that no other company involved in the sport of hunting has as many Prostaffers as Mossy Oak, to help you in what ever way they can?

Good Luck, God Bless, and Stay Safe!
                                                L.K.Leslie
                                 Hoosier Hunter Custom Calls
                                 Mossy Oak Pro Staff                                 

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » August 29th, 2008, 2:56 am

I have some MO Obsession, but I really like my old issue MARPAT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARPAT
The woodland is great for spring/fall and the desert is good for hiding in the reeds/corn during duck/goose season.  the stuff is tough as nails.  There are lots of knock-off's out there, so if you want tome, just check out an Army-Navy store or online someplace. 

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » August 30th, 2008, 12:09 pm

I have to admit i feel in love with the realtree AP, I had a tom strut by me at 5 yards with barely any cover around me, the bird looked right through me. This was a bird in an area where birds get hunted hard also. But there are many great patterns out there and i have used about all of them.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion