Conclusion: People of the South Wind

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » January 4th, 2012, 4:50 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

It was an easy choice, really. I vowed to wait until the gobbler wandered off or stuck his head in the opening, giving me a clear field of fire.

“Patience,” I thought. “It’ll play out soon enough.”

And it did, surprisingly with the turkey popping into the small opening and running his head and neck high. I didn’t hesitate to drop the 2-year-old at 40 steps.

Only then did that weird feeling begin to dissipate.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get 2012's best new book, Hunting Mature Whitetails the Lakosky Way!

Gobblerman

Re: Conclusion: People of the South Wind

Postby Gobblerman » January 6th, 2012, 9:54 am

....Would have done exactly the same thing.....with no regrets,...and probably with the same big sense of relief afterwards...

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » January 6th, 2012, 11:30 am

Big sense of relief, Jim. It was an industry hunt, so I was pretty much roped in to hunting with that guy. We took off on our own the third morning and had a great strike-'em, set up, shoot 'em hunt.

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 6th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Yeah, Brian,....good to hear things worked out. On my hunt like that, I ended up in such a tizzy after the first two days, I just said "I'm going home",....and did. Hard lesson learned,...but has benefited me in the long run.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » January 6th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Brian

This made me think of my first trip to Montana 9 years ago..

Knew from my first conversation that the person had some turkeys but never had anyone that was actually willing to pay and come there JUST to kill a turkey....

I remember being dropped off and later hearing a noise different than anything I had ever heard before and was trying to figure out what it was when my guide came into view...turned out he was blowing on a mouth call...how he got that sound...like something dying...I'll never know......

Told me he had been working back and forth along the river trying to drive a bird by me or my dad.....

I realized he was serious and thanked him for trying and explained why that might not work on turkeys

Later we found what was left of a dead gobbler with a full fan which he identified as a Jake.....I didn't say anything about that...

Next evening we came in and my buddy was shaking his head...told me he realized the gentleman had been walking all around looking for some kind of mushroom that was in season while he was trying to turkey
hunt.

The guy was great guy...just did not know anything about spring turkey hunting back then..

We convinced them to just turn us loose and let us hunt........we finally all killed a bird

It was an interesting trip for sure and it lead to the contacts I have now.....but you never know what that first trip anywhere will be like....lol
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 5th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Bobbyparks wrote:Next evening we came in and my buddy was shaking his head...told me he realized the gentleman had been walking all around looking for some kind of mushroom that was in season while he was trying to turkey
hunt.

I think I understand better why your guide might have been so "out there", even though he was a nice guy.

My lease has way too much human traffic that makes turkey hunting even more challenging than what it normally would be on private land. Talk about the ultimate catch 22, you are forced to have to deal with your guide, who seems inept at much besides knowing where he's seen turkeys before.

Patience is a virtue in many different aspects.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Decision Time