Best of Both Worlds?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Best of Both Worlds?

Postby allaboutshooting » November 13th, 2008, 5:10 am

I'd really recommend that you read the lead article currently on this site, "Best of Both Worlds?" by Jim Schlender.

Since we as turkey hunters really started patterning our shotguns, some have become obsessed with "counting holes in paper" and attempting to get more and more holes in some area, mostly a 10" circle. While that process has made us conscious of getting better patterns, some may have lost sight of the true purpose of that patterning, producing a killing swarm of shot.

I know this has already been discussed a bit but I'd sure like to see more comments on this subject. Anything to add?

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

MAK

RE: Best of Both Worlds?

Postby MAK » November 13th, 2008, 6:03 am

I've patterned my scoped (Simmons Pro Diamond) tightly choked (Kicks Gobbling Thunder) 12 ga. Rem 870 several (more than 15) years back with all the then available brands and shot sizes. Found the best load for my gun @ 40 yards, my longest preferred shot, and then added 10 yards to test it. Turned out to be 3" -2 oz. #4 Winchester Supremes.

My gun will shoot an even pattern with no holes - 90 pellets in an 8" circle with 10" in an 3'' circle; I know the Hevishot and similar shells will put more pellets in that circle, but as long as my shells are available, I'll not be changing. I have not had a turkey fly off after I pull the trigger up to this point and if it happens now, I'm blaming Clark.  [:D]  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

MAK

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » November 13th, 2008, 9:17 am

Hey Mark,

You've done exactly what I believe every turkey hunter should do. You've found a combination that works and that you have confidence in to cleanly kill turkeys.

I'm also a big fan of that Simmons Pro Diamond scope. I've used those on several guns (have 3 on guns currently) over the years and that's the only scope that Doris will use. She likes the long eye relief and the diamond reticle really allows her to carefully place her shots.

I've missed so many turkeys over the years and have to admit it because most of them were witnessed by friends, who've never let me forget. So, if the day ever does come when one flies away after your shot you can add it to my already long list...no problem.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » November 14th, 2008, 4:07 am

well i cant complain about my gun/choke/load combo @ the moment, as i have told you in the past im shooting a mossberg 835 (tactical)20"barrel a kicks 660 choke & winchester 31/2" #6 shot    now i will admit i havent shot a million different shells thru it & there could be a better combination out there somewhere ,but i dont know if ill ever find it.....i have had a few birds fly away after pulling the trigger ,2 to be exact with this particular gun but both were clean misses that was when i first got the gun & had a tru glo red dot scope on it but after i took the scope off every bird ive shot @ has flopped dead on the spot.scopes & shotguns just arent for me.now recently i have gotten an 870 express 3" with a kicks 650 choke i have only shot federal 3"  # 6 thru it so far but it shot fairly well.i will do more shooting with it in the near future & i will post those results @ a later time.   as far as going with a #7 load i dont see that in my future  hevi or not

Return to Shooting