Coyote hunting

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
kygobbler

Coyote hunting

Postby kygobbler » December 29th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Guys I have a fire burning thru my pocket right now to get a new riffle to hunt coyotes. I have been hunting them with a bow and shotgun but now I want something to reach out and get them. The problem is I cant make up my mind if I want a 22-250, .223, .243, or a .308. I do know I want a Savage with the accu-trigger but the caliper is throwing me for a loop. I wouldn't mind getting the .308 that way I can use it for other types of hunting like elk, if I ever get drawn, but I think it might be a bit of overkill on the yote.

If any of you all hunt for yotes what do you use? Just for kicks, if you was to pick a new riffle for yotes what would it be?
Is it turkey season yet?

Gobblerman

Re: Coyote hunting

Postby Gobblerman » December 30th, 2011, 12:05 am

All of those calibers would work fine, I think. If I was to choose one of them for shooting only coyotes, it would probably be the 22.250. However, the concept of being able to hunt larger game with the same gun is sound reasoning, as well. Maybe one of each would be good.... :mrgreen:

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 30th, 2011, 2:06 am

:lol: :lol: Thanks G-man, that helped a lot. :lol: :lol:

I went to a big gun store in Owensboro with some friends. Now this store has everything rangeing from a cricket 22 to a M1. I was like a kid in a candy store drueling all over myself. I found a Savage model 11 in a .308 that I liked except for one thing, it was left handed. :evil: Oh well, just like hunting I just need to be patient. The long ride home wasn't to fun though because everyone had a new toy except me. :cry:
Is it turkey season yet?

dewey

Postby dewey » December 30th, 2011, 10:13 am

I think if I were you I would go with the .308 so that way you can use it for elk hunting as well. Have you been applying in KY for elk recently? Have you thought about a 270 or a 7mm instead of the 308? The 270 & 7 mm are much flatter trajectory calibers than the 308 and probably kick quite a bit less. If you want more information on coyote hunting there is a guy I know on another forum who is a great coyote hunter and he had offered to share his knowledge with anyone that wants to know.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Off Topic