Conclusion: The Chariot of Helios

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » December 22nd, 2011, 10:47 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Had I been after a solo gobbler, I’d have set up shop near the road and hit the call. But I was trying to outmaneuver a henned-up turkey, so I figured I needed to get the drop on him. The relatively quiet road offered an easy approach, and the sun’s glare might help me for a few more moments.

I slipped toward the parking area, peeked around the corner and then crawled under the tailgate of one of the parked vehicles. I am not making that up. Then I eased to a small rise and caught a glimpse of the flock slowly feeding toward a small opening to the west.

Bingo. If I beat them there, the strutter would walk right down my barrel. I slipped into a small ditch and started my approach. It would have worked, too, if I hadn’t jumped two bedded deer 10 yards into my walk and sent them sprinting toward the turkeys.

I never heard the birds flush, but I knew they’d been spooked. I stuck around for an hour or so just to confirm that. By then, the once-friendly sun was beating down on my neck, and a once-in-a-season opportunity had passed me by.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get your 2012 Deer & Deer Hunting Lunar Rut Prediction Calendar!

Bobbyparks

Re: Conclusion: The Chariot of Helios

Postby Bobbyparks » December 22nd, 2011, 12:39 pm

Crawling under the tailgate in a parking lot would have made for some good video.....but is a good use of available cover...lol

Good story
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Return to Decision Time