Traditions Pursuit Ultra Light Muzzleloader

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Traditions Pursuit Ultra Light Muzzleloader

Postby allaboutshooting » December 15th, 2011, 11:13 am

I just finished an evaluation of this new ML gun from Traditions. It's a real winner. If you'd like to take a look at how it worked for me, please visit http://www.allaboutshooting.com

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

icdedturkes

Re: Traditions Pursuit Ultra Light Muzzleloader

Postby icdedturkes » December 29th, 2011, 5:09 pm

A switch to Blackhorn 209 is in order.. That is what I am doing.. Triple 7 is a cleaner powder but still filthy.. BH209 eliminates the need for spit patching while still maintaining accuracy and ease of loading, does not absorb moisture like pellets and also claims no anti sieze is needed on breech plug, something that I may not chance.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 31st, 2011, 11:08 am

It sure was a fun gun to shoot. It made ML shooting not such a chore. There certainly is the "nostalgia factor" in shooting the old sidelock guns but it's so labor intensive and time consuming. Purely for recreation however it can be fun but from a hunting standpoint, the inline guns work better for me.

Thanks,
Clark

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » January 1st, 2012, 11:01 pm

allaboutshooting wrote:It sure was a fun gun to shoot. It made ML shooting not such a chore. There certainly is the "nostalgia factor" in shooting the old sidelock guns but it's so labor intensive and time consuming. Purely for recreation however it can be fun but from a hunting standpoint, the inline guns work better for me.

Thanks,
Clark

I think you completely over looked my point.. A quick google search of Blackhorn 209 will get you on track :D Its not stepping back but stepping forward..

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » January 1st, 2012, 11:24 pm

I know a lot of good shooters who are using that powder and are very happy with it. They all report that it shoots clean in their barrels.

I doubt that I'll shoot another ML before the next deer season. As I mentioned in the article, I own several ML rifles and a shotgun (that I've never shot) but don't shoot any of them on a regular basis.

The Pursuit Ultra Light shot very well for me with the Triple 7 pellets and frankly, it was just very easy to load and clean up was easy as well. It did make it fun.

I'm sure if I was a dedicated ML shooter I could find a load, powder/bullet, that would improve that performance even more.

I appreciate the input and if I ever really get the bug to experiment more with ML rifles, I'll give it a try.

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting