wisconsin turkey hunt

arrowsonly

wisconsin turkey hunt

Postby arrowsonly » December 14th, 2011, 9:26 am

Hello everyone,

How about a "camp style" hunt over here since the MN DNR made such a mess of the turkey hunting for 2012 ?

We have; plenty of turkeys, plenty of left over tags, public land everywere, a seven day mid week season, and the WI DNR is considering lower NR fees ! What more could you ask for except good weather and during May thats 50/50 but based on the start to this winter what the heck is going on. My body says yes but my bank says hang on it will snow I'm down about 2000.00 this month already, sorry Santa...

BYO stuff ie Tent, Camper, ect. work together on other camp essentials, only drawback to Camping in WI you can't camp on public lands. I like to hunt and camp from the same spot like MN , that was one of the main reasons I came to Houston MN.

I have a great spot in Gotham WI that is on the Wisconsin River, therfore it's wisconsin river parkway land ( private land trust ) open to the public that's all I know, I 've been going there off and on since 1997. I guided someone from California last time I was there "thicker" than before, and the birds were there along the river like always and in town by the cemetery.

You can camp on any of the islands not on shore, some of the islands you can walk to most years. I said most there are other options private property is the other, some of the locals are friendly. There are other options depending on how far do you want to travel, but that gets expencive. Centeral WI has a TON of birds and hwy 29 is a straight shot.
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

dewey

Re: wisconsin turkey hunt

Postby dewey » December 14th, 2011, 11:50 am

This certainly sounds like an appealing idea arrows. I am looking at going to Kansas sometime this spring and possibly the T&TH forum hunt near Waupaca but I am not sure a WI turkey hunt is in the plans for this year since the KS trip would take a week and the boss, work and home, probably would not approve both of them. The hunt in KS would be with a good friend of mine from college that lives in Hutchinson KS so that might be an opportunity that is truly too good to pass up. What time would you be thinking about going?

Great idea though and if the KS trip falls through I will be going to WI somewhere.

Thanks.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » December 14th, 2011, 10:11 pm

yeah i allready broke the news to my old man im not going to apply & probaly not even buy a tag in MN this year due to the MNDNR mess n with a great thing aka draw tag quota/unit hunts in SE MINNESOTA to make there job more easy... so like i told you b4 arrowsonly im down to head over to cheese land for a spring hunt... im a field edge farm/crop edge maybe coulee type hunter dont do well in big woods or river type hunting like to be able to see birds pattern & move in on em so i mite check out some of them other wisconsin state natural areas i mentioned b4 in the PM... i would be down to go over to cheese land and hunt any time after like april 26 & b4 may 20 id be around the westby area north south or west of there all holds birds and SNAs... hope i can find a decint farmer to let me at least throw a tent up in a un used area of his property? or i learned in FLA u cant camp places but u sure can wait in ur car/mini van to hunt them the next day unless the SNAs have open/close times??? hope not... im also heading west DEWEY to kansas rio grande country to open there season around april-10 or so will be comeing from opening oklahomas season april 5...

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » December 15th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Mn DNR made a mess of the 2012 spring hunt? Not sure I see how. Most hunters I know are quite pleased with the new regulations. By making the implementation of the spring hunt easier (i.e. fewer zones, OTC tags, etc.) they can free up manpower and resources for other projects. Everyone is quick to jump on the DNR when a mistake (real or perceived) is made, but slow to credit them for a job well done. For the most part these people are in the business because they truly care about the resource. There are a lot more lucrative return on investment options out there then spending 6-10 yrs in college to make 40k a year. Oh well, guess there's always a vocal minority...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » December 15th, 2011, 10:16 pm

i have the utmost respect for ANY WILDLIFE BIOLOGIST WHO WENT TO SCHOOL & SPENDS HIS/HER TIME IN THE FEILD WORKING WITH LAND OWNERs & THE ANIMALS but as for respecting a agency that addmits it changed things b4 it had a idea of what the outcome even mite/could do/be & to make things easy er for them come spring & to also free up manpower for other things is not going to gain any cheers from me... we had a great draw quota hunt going on in MINNESOTA makeing for a number of hunters in each time period & unit SET... now the last 4 time periods of the season are for everybody no need to draw a tag reguardless of unit write??? thats not cool now they combine units & what not??? to let people have more room to roam? WELL IF THE VERRY SMART & RESPECTABLE FOLKS AT THE MNDNR OPENED UP THEM TAGS THAT GET/GOT WASTED FOR MANY UNITS/TIME PERIODS TO FOLKS WHO WANTED TO PAY FOR THEM TAGS REGUARDLESS OF IF WE ALLREADY DREW A TAG OR KILLED A BIRD A WASTED TAG IS A WASTED TAG A SET NUMBER OF TAGS OPEN IS A SET NUMBER OF TAGS OPEN THEY COULD IN THEORY HUNT DIFFERNT HUNT UNITS IF THEY BAUGHT A WASTED TAG FOR THAT UNIT & ROAM AS MUCH AS THERE LIL HEART/FEET COULD CARRY THEM... it makes more money for the TURKEYS/MNDNR & you are working with the same number of tags available the MNDNR allready gave the ok to sell/be harvested???
MORE PEOPLE IN A GIVE N AREA & 4 OPEN SEASONS TO ANYBODY BRINGS DOWN THE QUALITY OF A HUNT IN A AREA... now the quota/draw system on applys/benifts the 1st few time periods it used to be only archery tags the last 2 time periods then it went to gun/archery last 2time periods now its open the last 4 time periods & for shotgun... & then to hear the MNDNR say we dont exactly now how it will effect the harvest/population & we did it to make our jobs more easy come spring!!! B/S im not going to be pleased with that... CALL ME A BAD GUY BUT I LIKE IT WHEN IF U MISSED THE APPLY DATE U COULDNT GO HUNT KEPT THE NOT SERIOUS OUT AT LEAST now its a free for all the last 4 time periods EXCEPT FOR THE FOLKS WHO ALLREADY GOT TO HUNT? HOW DOSE THAT WORK? THESE TIMES ARE OPEN TO ALL REGUARDLESS OF IF U SENT IN OR NOT BUT ALL YOU GUYS WHO DID ALLREADY SEND IN CANT GO BUT ALL THE NUMBER OF TAGS ARE UNLIMITED BUT YOU CANT BUY ANY OF THEM UNLIMITED TAGS SORRY UR 1 EXTRA TAG WOULD BREAK THE CAMELS BACK EVEN THOW THE NUMBER OF TAGS IS UNLIMITED FOR EVERYBODY ELSE DUMB!!! ever here of BOOK SMART & STREET SMARTS??? THERE ALSO BOOK SMARTS & WOODS SMARTS... BOOK SMARTS RULES AT THE MNDNR NOT WOODS SMARTS... lovett e williams jr reminded me of that in the last issue of T&TH with the pen reared vs wild stock the history of turkey restoration: article...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » December 15th, 2011, 10:21 pm

i take it gopherlongbeards you wont be joining us on the wisconsin hunt???

dewey

Postby dewey » December 16th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Most hunters I know are quite pleased with the new regulations. By making the implementation of the spring hunt easier (i.e. fewer zones, OTC tags, etc.) they can free up manpower and resources for other projects. Everyone is quick to jump on the DNR when a mistake (real or perceived) is made, but slow to credit them for a job well done. For the most part these people are in the business because they truly care about the resource. There are a lot more lucrative return on investment options out there then spending 6-10 yrs in college to make 40k a year. Oh well, guess there's always a vocal minority...

Gopher and I are in complete agreement here as I love the new zone structure and I love it for the reasons stated above. :D I have access to private land but unfortuneately the land straddles an old zone line and we would have to stay on on side and not have the opportunity to hunt the other side and vice versa. However now with the new zones I can hunt on either side of the highway and still be within my overall zone, roughly 1500 acres of prime stuff. Plus the MNDNR is not actually allowing more tags but adding up the alloted tags for each zone and that is the new total for the larger zone. I would also suspect that a large number of people are not going to go and hunt new areas within the expanded zone just because they can but I am sure some will. I would think that most people have their preferred areas for turkey hunting and will stay there. I like that the last 4 time periods are over the counter as I would reason that if this is being done then the overall turkey population is growing pretty fast for them to do this. Plus people still have the chance to hunt the first 4 seasons as a lottery only.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » December 16th, 2011, 10:38 pm

allowing for more over OTC tags with out a draw brings down the quality of a hunt time/period i never said they were allowing more tags said they were allowing more people to hunt with out applying & ISNT THE NUMBER FOR OTC TAGS FOR THE LAST 4 TIME PERIODS UNLIMITED ???CORRECT??? it used to be the last 2 periods now its 4... the main benafit i see in the UNLIMITED OTC tags 4 the last 4 times is that somebody can now go hunt another state & then come & hunt what ever 5-7 day period time he wants dureing the last 4 wks... guess its great if your fav time to hunt was B4 THE 5TH-8TH WK-TIMES E-H!!!??? if ur fav time to hunt is season E-H
you mite not be so PLEASED you mite also have a few new friends to join you on ur hunt but if you hunt PRIVATE LAND it really dosent matter write??? its the guy who hunts PUBLIC/STATE LAND that will have the probs if there will be any & with a sport only growing in popularity that is bound to happen... but if u hunt PRIVATE LAND most likely not... if the MNDNR are setting the a UNLIMITED OTC TAG 4 THE LAST 4 TIME PERIODS i see the SMART FOLKS down at the MNDNR as not careing much for a quality of a hunt or about bringing in more $$$ to help out our wild turkeys & other animals with all the $$$/extra tags that get/got wasted each season not going to hunters & insulting that they will then give a UNLIMITED NUMBER OF OTC TAGS away to anybody who didnt apply but not let people go who have allready sent in/went hunting buy a UNLIMITED # OTC TAG FOR THE LAST 4 TIME PERIODS??? THE NUMBER IS UNLIMITED OTC TAGS FOR LAST 4 TIMES ???CORRECT??? take away the unlimited number of tags 4 last time periods & just put the tags the allready waste to good use thats all i could ask for it would give you the ability to roam/try other hunt units if you wanted witch would be sweet WHO WANTS TO HUNT THE SAME PEACE OF LAND EACH & EVERY YR IF YOU CAN/SHOULD HAVE THE ABILITY TO STRETCH UR LEGS & TRY SOMETHING NEW U MITE HAVE ALLWAYS WANTED TO THATS WHY I HUNT OTHER SUB-SPECIES & MOST OTHER HUNTERS ALSO & FOR THE NEW SCENERY/PLACES/PEOPLE ALL OF WITCH YOU MISS OUT ON WHEN PEOPLE ONLY HUNT THE PREFERRED AREAS if any year people would want to try new areas it would be the first year of new larger units or the 1st 2 seasons??? im not applying for a MINNESOTA TAG for the 1st time in like 12-13
YEARS!!! thats new... i mite/could tag out in OK,KS,WI,NE, & by OTC but i doubt it... my dad says he applying for the same ol season B so?

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » December 16th, 2011, 11:53 pm

oh well, guess there's always a bobble head majority...

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » December 17th, 2011, 12:03 pm

What the h#+% you doing up and on this board at 5am, I thought I was the only one up at that time ...
Stay in touch maybe to and some friends can come on over & hunt this spring!
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Next

Return to Minnesota