Conclusion: Grand Slum

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » December 7th, 2011, 2:56 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Crappy turkey hunter or not, the guy knew the area, and I didn’t. I figured a few more hours at the subdivision spot couldn’t hurt.

And when two hens dragged a black-winged Osceola strutter to within 20 steps of my gun barrel, it was all good. In fact, set against the dark cypress and Spanish moss in that six acres, it was a darn beautiful start to my slam.

Oh, and the guy with the stereo had switched to Prince that afternoon. Again, not Skynyrd, but I wasn’t in charge of the tunes.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to order Hunting Mature Whitetails the Lakosky Way, with Lee and Tiffany Lakosky!

Gobblerman

Re: Conclusion: Grand Slum

Postby Gobblerman » December 8th, 2011, 9:22 am

NAILED IT!! ...But I'm sure the Prince fan was a bit confused and disappointed when the gobbler didn't show up on his back porch for his evening handouts at dinner time!..... :mrgreen:

dewey

Re: Conclusion: Grand Slum

Postby dewey » December 13th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Heck I even guessed right on that one. I have learned the lesson of following scouting reports and not trying to show everyone how smart you think you are. My father in law was thus more than happy to point out the turkeys were exactly where he told me they would be. Now I listen.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Decision Time