If Price Was Not a Concern

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
charlie elk

If Price Was Not a Concern

Postby charlie elk » December 5th, 2011, 10:18 pm

What shotgun & accessories would want for turkey hunting if price was not a consideration?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

TeocTom

Re: If Price Was Not a Concern

Postby TeocTom » December 6th, 2011, 12:54 pm

I am working on my dream set up now.
Rem 870 Youth with Remington ShurShot Stock. It will need a TruGlo SSX choke and shot Hevi Shot, #7's.
Super lite, compact, and deadly out to 40 yards, which is good being that I am still a Jake in regards to turkey hunting.
This is the set up that I am looking to throw at Dr. Evil this spring :twisted:
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

hawglips

Postby hawglips » December 6th, 2011, 8:56 pm

My dream setup is a 20 ga. Rem 870 Express with 26" barrel loaded with 1-5/8 oz of TSS #9s. Light and deadly to farther than anyone ought to try shooting at a turkey.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » December 7th, 2011, 8:36 am

Oh man, where all you can go with this. Well first I would keep my SX3 but I would add maybe a different choke because 40-45 yds is my limit and it wouldnt hurt to have a little more distance due to me misjudging the distance. I would like to also include a gernade launcher to it for when the turkeys decide they dont want to play and stay out of range. :lol:

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » December 7th, 2011, 8:59 am

I already have them planned.
#1 A half stock flint lock 10 gauge. English walnut stock, full jug choke. I would have a second shot barrel with an improved cylinder. To that I would add a .69 cal rifle barrel. Case it up in a period correct box with all the accessories.

#2 would be a repro of one of the guns carried to Concord and Lexington. It would have an aged finish that would make it look like it came home and hung on the wall for the last 235 years.

A couple of new pot calls and a good longbox.

A good set of rain gear.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » December 7th, 2011, 10:45 pm

I wouldnt change a thing Winchester Super x 2 and Browning Gold 3.5 Winchester Extended Range no. 6# and .655 Bansner tube.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » December 8th, 2011, 10:58 am

I have thought about this and even tried to get the gun set up, but it didn't work out.

My ideal turkey gun is a 12ga side by side. With 3in chambers, double triggers, screw in chokes, and sling swivels.

I would have the gun rust blued. I like the looks of rust bluing and its a dull finish that is basically earth tones.

I want the gun to be able to kill a gobbler at 40 yards so it would to deliver a killing pattern out to 45 yards to cover any range estimation errors I might make.

Reasoning;

The SxS gives you 2 chokes, one for in close and for the 30 to 40 yard shots. Its relatively light weight and its action makes the gun short & compact. The beneift of short is not in swinging the gun, but in carrying it. But 3in chambers and double triggers are a somewhat rare combo. An over & under is even more rare to have double triggers and would be a lot more "tippy" on the knee.

The double triggers gives you instant shot selection. I try not to hate much in this world, but 1 thing I do absolutely HATE is the single selective trigger. For such a seemingly simple mecnanism, it can fail miserably...and it does!

The screw in choke and sling swivels can be added on, as can the rust bluing.

The Problem;

The hard part is getting the gun to shoot where I am aiming. The SxS I tried hit 18 inces LOW at 40 yards. I even raised up the comb with pads and was seeing the whole top of the barrel and it STILL shot low.

The other rub is sighting. I am lefthanded but its possible to adjust a stock. When you shoot beads your rear sight is your eye. You need to mount the gun consistently to have a consistent rear sight. Shooting from a sitting position and the extremes of far right and far left become difficult to mount a gun properly. My eyes are to old for iron sights but I suppose a peep sight might work. I am not going to put a dot sight or scope on a SxS. I couldn't stand to look at it...much less carry it. :D

If money were no concern I would just keep trying SxS's. For now I'll stick with my T C Encore and Trijicon sight.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

dewey

Postby dewey » December 8th, 2011, 1:33 pm

kygobbler wrote: I would like to also include a gernade launcher to it for when the turkeys decide they dont want to play and stay out of range. :lol:

Now that is thinking out of the box. I like it. How about some heating seeking pellets as well?

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » December 14th, 2011, 3:10 pm

treerooster,
I like the side by side idea too but every one I've tried shoots to the right from the left barrel and to left from the right barrel. Guess they are all built to shoot so the shot crosses at some point out front. Perhaps good if you pull both triggers at the same time giving you that grenade ; effect. ;)
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » December 15th, 2011, 5:59 am

i like the setup that i have, but i would like a nice scope to put on my 11-87, i have been hesitant to get one because of battery failure, seems i read about one i would like to have, but it had a very hefty price tag.....
Unofficial mascot for Team 2
Springtime Assassins

Next

Return to Shooting