20 Gauge wingmaster Should i make into turkey gun

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
dpowers311

20 Gauge wingmaster Should i make into turkey gun

Postby dpowers311 » December 4th, 2011, 5:55 pm

I have a nice 20 gauge Wingmaster that I have had for years. It has been shot very little and looks nice. My decision is that since my 9yo has taken my remington express I need a turkey gun. I have to decide to sell the wingmaster and buy a new shotgun or start using the wingmaster.

I think if you have a gun then it should be used and it will get scratches and dings. This gun was a friends that bought it and didn't use it, sold it to me for a great price.

If I decide to use it what choke? It has a 26 inch barrel.

Thanks
Dave

Steve_In

Re: 20 Gauge wingmaster Should i make into turkey gun

Postby Steve_In » December 5th, 2011, 5:10 pm

I would try to get a value on the Wingmaster before messing with it. You may be able to sell or trade it and not have to mess with mods. As soon as you make changes to your Wingmaster it will lose value. You could also use it as trade stock and get your 9YO a youth model. They make them so you just swap stocks as the youth grows. Keep in mind that just because a dealer has a similar gun on the rack you probably cannot expect much more than about 75% of that price if that much.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » December 6th, 2011, 10:59 am

dpowers311 wrote:I have a nice 20 gauge Wingmaster that I have had for years. It has been shot very little and looks nice. My decision is that since my 9yo has taken my remington express I need a turkey gun. I have to decide to sell the wingmaster and buy a new shotgun or start using the wingmaster.

I think if you have a gun then it should be used and it will get scratches and dings. This gun was a friends that bought it and didn't use it, sold it to me for a great price.

If I decide to use it what choke? It has a 26 inch barrel.

Thanks
Dave

Hey Dave,

First of all congratulations on getting your young son involved in turkey hunting. That's a very good thing.

I agree with you that guns are made to be shot unless they have some collector's value that is greatly diminished by doing that. The "advantage/disadvantage" to the Wingmaster is mainly in its finish. That finish is very pretty and does not hinder anything for upland hunting or for the clays fields. It can be perceived as a disadvantage in the turkey woods but can easily be taken care of in several ways, gun sock, tape, etc. Unless that gun has some particular feature that makes it a collector, there's really no reason not to shoot it.

You've had some good advice however in that you may want to "shop it around" and see if there's a high demand in your area. Some dealer may have a customer who is looking for a gun just like yours in excellent condition and may be willing to make you a deal.

As far as chokes go, you have a wide choice as you know. Doris and I shoot several 20 gauge 870s and get excellent results at the range and in the field with 2 different chokes, primarily.

The SSX has a great design, great internal geometry and does exceptionally well with a variety of shotshells. It, like just about every other choke, does best with the 3" Hevi-13 shells in #6 or #7 shot. It's also very reasonably priced.

The second choke that delivers excellent performance is the Swarm. It was the first of the "new breed" of high performance 20 gauge turkey chokes and set the standards for others to follow. It does hands down best with Hevi-13 shells in #6 or #7 shot.

Both those chokes also do very well with lead loads.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
Last edited by allaboutshooting on December 9th, 2011, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

grizzly

Postby grizzly » December 6th, 2011, 3:21 pm

i see no reason that the Wingmaster wouldn't be a great turkey gun i have been using a 20 guage Mossberg for a few years now and with the right chokes and shells they are deadly up to 40 yards there are guys here that have much more knowledge on chokes and shells who can help you out if you decide to stick with it then i but for me i use the factory full choke and Remington nitro turkey in ether 5 or 6 shot and it has worked well for me ...wayne

Return to Shooting