Cougars and black panthers

Discussions not related to turkey hunting and clean humor
kygobbler

Cougars and black panthers

Postby kygobbler » November 15th, 2011, 2:37 am

I know alot of you have seen these animals in your neck of the woods but for me I have never seen one in the wild. Here lately there has been alot sighting ranging from Land between the Lakes to Portland, Tn and up around Mammoth Cave Park. Now I am assuming, and we all know what that means, that Kentucky Fish and Wildlife are bringing these animals here just like they did with the deer and turkeys. I have gone to Ky F&W website but cant find anything about them. Now because they are not listed or mentioned in the hunting handbook for any type of season, are they legal to kill and are they considered exotic animals? A friend of mine and I had a little discussion about because a black panther was seen and photograghed just about 15 miles away. Im hoping maybe someone on here might know an answer.

hckyplayer8

Re: Cougars and black panthers

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 18th, 2011, 12:09 am

kygobbler wrote:I know alot of you have seen these animals in your neck of the woods but for me I have never seen one in the wild. Here lately there has been alot sighting ranging from Land between the Lakes to Portland, Tn and up around Mammoth Cave Park. Now I am assuming, and we all know what that means, that Kentucky Fish and Wildlife are bringing these animals here just like they did with the deer and turkeys. I have gone to Ky F&W website but cant find anything about them. Now because they are not listed or mentioned in the hunting handbook for any type of season, are they legal to kill and are they considered exotic animals? A friend of mine and I had a little discussion about because a black panther was seen and photograghed just about 15 miles away. Im hoping maybe someone on here might know an answer.

The N.A Cougar once had a widespread range across the continent, but were hunted relentlessly in the early 20th century. This has basically resulted in the extinction of the Eastern sub species, with the exception being a small breeding population in Southern Florida.

Due to laws and regulations the Western sub species has increased in population size. Cougars are shy, solitary animals and have wide home ranges. This population increase have pushed cougars to find new habitat, which has resulted in cougars moving farther and farther East. A recent, well publicized story was about a roadkilled cougar in CT. After running tests, officials determined the cat had made a record breaking migration, and had come all the way from South Dakota.

Because the Eastern Cougar is considered extinct, I assume purposely killing one would result in major legal issues.

Finally, the black panther is a cryptid. The N.A Cougar officially has no black color phase...that being one that is recognized by the scientific community. If the photograph you mention is real, it is more likely the animal is an escaped or released jaguar or jaguarundi...both non native to your area.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » November 18th, 2011, 11:48 am

Hey hckyplayer8, thanks for the info. After doing a little homework I found the same info but some conflicting info. At one sight they mentioned everything you said but that they are protected under the Endandered Species Act. Then on another site I was reading it said that a tv show called KyAfield had a person from the fish and wildlife department stating that if you run across any shoot "em dead and then report so they can do a dna test. Their reasoning is like you stated that more than likely its an escaped or released pet. Knowing my luck it would be the real deal and they tell me that I have to pay some big fine. :lol: The info of the cat came from a very reliable source due to he is a preacher. He also told me that at a hunting club he is a member of someone got a pic with their trail camera but it wasn't the same one that he saw. Next time I see him I will ask again what the name of the club is because the pic is on their website. Thanks again for the info.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » November 20th, 2011, 1:50 pm

kygobbler wrote:Hey hckyplayer8, thanks for the info. After doing a little homework I found the same info but some conflicting info. At one sight they mentioned everything you said but that they are protected under the Endandered Species Act. Then on another site I was reading it said that a tv show called KyAfield had a person from the fish and wildlife department stating that if you run across any shoot "em dead and then report so they can do a dna test. Their reasoning is like you stated that more than likely its an escaped or released pet. Knowing my luck it would be the real deal and they tell me that I have to pay some big fine. :lol: The info of the cat came from a very reliable source due to he is a preacher. He also told me that at a hunting club he is a member of someone got a pic with their trail camera but it wasn't the same one that he saw. Next time I see him I will ask again what the name of the club is because the pic is on their website. Thanks again for the info.

I personally would not harvest anything that have such few numbers. There is something to say for conservation.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 20th, 2011, 5:11 pm

I do not believe these mountain lions are roaming all the way out here from the black hills. That would require a long swim across the Missippi or crosing on a busy bridge without getting hit by a car. Not to mention some of the busiest highways in the US. I would think more would be found on the roads between the east and the black hills.
My concern would be for my daughter and her friends as they ride their bikes up and down the road. Or when I take her for a run at the middle school. I do not see where Indiana is better off with them as I believe most are released pets.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » November 29th, 2011, 7:45 pm

those mountin lions are not all being released by private owners sorry to tell yall & are definitely not being released by the game and fish in any state in the east coast!!!! WAY WAY MORE MOUNTIN LIONS ARE COMEING FROM THAT VERRY STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA BLACK HILLS AREA the black hills is over ran by the big cats & the young males are get n kicked out each and every year & moveing in every direction especialy into states like nebraska,oklahoma,kansas,colorado,north dakota & we have confirmed citeings in MINNESOTA i beleave iowa & ouachita mtn area & a few confirmed kills in missouri!!! they are most definitely leaveing south dakota & traveling up/down rivers long long distances to find what they need to set up shop & hunt breed & be elusive!!! also not verry many if any mountin lions are being hit by cars on the roads & major highways they are crossing out west... also like i said stream/rivers/creeks are travel corridoors for mountin lions so they are not shy around water like a house cat so thats how they are get n from point A to point B... farms along the routes with cats,dogs,live stock just make for ez pick ns its not a major problum yet but dont fool your self when the big cats leave the black hills they are roaming from the west to east some of the time...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » December 1st, 2011, 11:44 pm

must of missed it but on NOV.27 a wild mountain lion was shot in south west minnesota by to men they tracked it after spoting it & killed it because it was near there homes/farms??? they likely will get charges brang up on them... also they brang up the lion that was killed in CT it to had traveled threw minnesota & threw the great lakes & then into the eastern us... them bad boys are out there you better beleave

Return to Off Topic