Conclusion: Creek-Bottom Combo

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » November 9th, 2011, 5:06 pm

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I hadn’t heard any other gobbling that morning, so I had no great urge to roam. Further, the turkeys had been pretty quiet after flydown, so I figured that walking and calling was foolish. An hour at the creek-bottom hide couldn’t hurt.

I called sparingly for a half-hour or so, scanning the bottom and adjacent ridge for movement. After 15 more minutes of silence, I’d had enough, so I prepared to leave.

One check of my watch was all it took. As I looked at the time, I heard an ultra-soft putt and glanced up to see a turkey slinking through the brush 70 yards away. That bugger had been in the area, and he’d finally come to check me out. Unfortunately, he didn’t like me and left quickly.

Well, at least I’d been right in my decision to stay put, and that gave me a little satisfaction as I trudged back to the truck. OK, very little.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to pre-order Hunting Mature Whitetails the Lakosky Way, with Lee and Tiffany Lakosky!

Gobblerman

Re: Conclusion: Creek-Bottom Combo

Postby Gobblerman » November 28th, 2011, 6:04 pm

Brian, I most likely would have done the same thing under the circumstances,....and with the very same outcome! :mrgreen:

Return to Decision Time