Finally a tag filled....A thanksgiving Turkey

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

Finally a tag filled....A thanksgiving Turkey

Postby eggshell » November 24th, 2011, 11:35 am

Hey all, it's been more work than I've put into a bird in a long time, but I filled my Ohio Fall tag this morning. After passing 12-15 hens and poults in pursuit of a gobbler and actually missing a gobbler I killed a brute jake this morning. With three days of season left I wasn't being too picky, but I did pick out the best bird i the flock. I have had a really hard time getting birds to work in the last two weeks, but was holding one spot back I new held birds. So this morning I went in a walked right into the roost. I watched as 5 birds flew down away from me (I was 30yards from the roost trees) and was unsure if I was just screwed, but low and behold birds opened up behind me and to my left. I worked birds for an hour and they all started up hill, so I moved around a slip and up hill. Wouldn't you know birds circled right by me and headed down hill. I watched as they went out of sight and made a big loop down hill. I would sit and call then move 75 yards or so, using ravines as cover. Finally on the last ravine I heard the birds below me and slipped to the point just above them (thank goodness for wet leaves) and watched. I could hear them scratching and could not believe I couldn't see a bird, they sounded like they were right on top of me. Finally one walked out just below me and when I saw the gobbler head a slowly swung around and dropped him at 25-30 yards. It was a really nice jake and weighed 15 ponds. It's been a great season as I saw a lot turkeys and deer as well as a Bobcat, black fox squirrel and piebald Buck. The last three weeks have been really frustrating though and I wondered if I hadn't messed up.

Next Saturday it's back to Kentucky and try to fill those tags.
Attachments
Ohio Fall 2011 15lb jake [1600x1200].JPG
Ohio Fall 2011 15lb jake [1600x1200].JPG (111.36 KiB) Viewed 478 times
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Finally a tag filled....A thanksgiving Turkey

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 24th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Congrats on the bird Dana. :D
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » November 24th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Congrats. Dana that is a nice bird! Turkeys been crazy here for the last three weeks seems like they just vanished we have 2 days left will see what happens.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » November 24th, 2011, 9:56 pm

Excellent! Congrats on the hunt and bird.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 24th, 2011, 11:03 pm

went right back to the same spot this evening with my daughter in tow (it's her first try at turkey hunting). Wouldn't you know we walked right up on four long beards in the next drain over from where I killed my bird. I saw a nice gobbler at 30 yards and told her to shoot him. I waited and no shot, just when I was wondering why, she cuts loose and the bird I was watching walks away. Just as she was shooting I realized her gun was pointed down hill more, she had seen another gobbler. I looked just in time to see she shot low and hit him mostly in the body. He went down in kind of a squat then popped up and flew. I'm not sure how bad he was hurt as it was probably 45 - 50 yards. She later told me that is why she didn't shoot right away, because she thought he was too far. However, I was saying shoot shoot, so she did. she never saw the closer bird. My heart sank as I new there was no hope of finding her bird, it flew across the valley. Hopefully the feathers took up most of the shot at that distance and her 2 3/4 inch magnums maybe didn't penetrate too deep.We looked a while but found no sign of a dead bird. so we set up in the direction one lone gobbler went. Sure enough about a half hour later I spot him sneaking in to my lonely gobbler yelps. I get her attention and tell her get the gun up and she did. That ole bird was slow and cautious and the browning semi auto got too heavy for her and she started moving it for support. I was snarling don't move in her ear, but she couldn't help it and the old bird busted her moving the gun. We heard some other birds go to roost and left. She can hunt again Saturday. I will remember to take the shooting stick for her next time. I really was disappointed she didn't get the gobbler. I think she just got excited and forgot to concentrate on shooting the head and neck and I need to be sure she sees the same thing I do. I will remind her next time to concentrate on the head and neck. I take too much for granted and don't realize what is obvious to me isn't to a new hunter. It's a tough lesson, but we all been there.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » November 24th, 2011, 11:52 pm

Look at it this way you got your moneys worth out of your tag. Had you connected sooner you would not have all that fun. Nice bird and great job on your sticking with it.
Too bad about your Daughter's gobbler. I am sure you will do whatever you can to get her another shot.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » November 25th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Congrats on your bird and good luck to the girl

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » November 26th, 2011, 1:02 am

Good looking bird. Great stories. I'm sure your daughter will connect on the next one. Sometimes its not the destination, its the journey. ;)
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

eggshell

Postby eggshell » November 27th, 2011, 9:57 pm

well it rained today and I couldn't talk my daughter into getting wet, so she will have to wait until spring for another try at a gobbler. I had a good season, although at times it was frustrating. Here's wishing good luck to all still hunting.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » November 28th, 2011, 6:32 am

Way to hang in there Eggshell. Good luck in your Ky hunt.

Next

Return to Fall Hunting